Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neilhill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Claiming Rent as Income
    Hi, I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and purchased a house in another province in Canada with the intention of moving there. My wife is sick however and we need to stay in this province until her medical condition is resolved. Since we cannot afford the high rents in Edmonton and a bi-weekly mortgage on the new house, we have rented it out until we are able to move there. Do I need to claim the rent I receive as income and if so, how can I get around having to claim it?
    Thanks,
    Neil
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Hello neil:

I don't know Canadian laws, but I'm sure if you have income, your government is going to want to know about it. If you want to commit a felony by not paying your taxes, just leave it off your return. How do you ordinarily cheat your government? Do that.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Well I guess you can just lie and cheat on your taxes and not claim it.
    But if you have rental income, then you also have rental deductions, *** assuming your laws are similar to ours, you deduct the cost of your rental, the rental payments, the insurance, the taxes, any repairs all come off as a business expense for your rental business. You should if anything be able to actually show a loss if you have a large mortgage on it
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 08:19 AM
    [QUOTE=neilhill]Hi, I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and purchased a house in another province in Canada with the intention of moving there. My wife is sick however and we need to stay in this province until her medical condition is resolved. Since we cannot afford the high rents in Edmonton and a bi-weekly mortgage on the new house, we have rented it out until we are able to move there. Do I need to claim the rent I receive as income and if so, how can I get around having to claim it?

I don't think anyone here is going to give you advice on how to break the law.
    neilhill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 09:47 PM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee]
    Quote Originally Posted by neilhill
    Hi, I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and purchased a house in another province in Canada with the intention of moving there. My wife is sick however and we need to stay in this province until her medical condition is resolved. Since we cannot afford the high rents in Edmonton and a bi-weekly mortgage on the new house, we have rented it out until we are able to move there. Do I need to claim the rent I receive as income and if so, how can I get around having to claim it?

I don't think anyone here is going to give you advice on how to break the law.
    I am sure that the question I asked was not a question of intent to break the law. It was a question by some one who has never been in this situation before and needs to know what they need to do! I am not asking for advise on how to commit frud. I am asking a smart question that deserves a smart reply! If you think you know the type of person I am maybe mr Chris Angle here can read my mind and tell the world this a case for the hit TV show Master mines. Thank you web sight for giving intelligent advise on a issue that has nothing to do with intent to commit frud!:cool:
    As for the other gent thank you for giving me a good idea on what is expected

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Query on claiming Foreign Earned Income exclusion [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I moved to US in June 2007 on H1 B status. I pass the standard presence test for the Financial year 2007 as I am present in US for 195 days and henceforth a US resident alien. Now for filing my 2007 returns to IRS, can I report my income from salary earned in India before I moved to US...

Can we deduct anything on a rent to own home on our income taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are thinking about renting to own his deceased Grandmother's home. His mother is the sole owner. The home mortgage is paid in full. She will charge us no interest, keep the insurance and property tax in her name but we will make these payments for her. Can we claim anything for...

Claiming Additional Income as a Pensioner [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount of income annually that a individual collecting a pension(Canada) can claim without it affecting their pension income that they receive?

Claiming 1099 misc. Income [ 3 Answers ]

I earned approximately $500.00 in 2006 in a home based business. I received a 1099 misc. income form. Do I need to do a Schedule C no matter how much I earned or is there a minimum amount before having to go through the process of preparing a Schedule C?

View more questions Search