Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fsulunky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 06:40 PM
    I need some assistance!
    I'm in Statistics and I'm having a hard time with this problem. I keep on trying it but I keep messing up somewhere. Could someone please help?

A bank's loan officer rates applicants for credit. The ratings are normally distributed with mean of 200 and standard deviation of 50. If an applicant was randomly selected, find D6 (decile 6) the score which separates the lower 60% from the top 40%.

Thanks so much for your help!!

:D
    CLUBCHAMP04 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Well, you know that 5 deciles lie below the mean, so all you need to solve for is the 1 decile (10%) above. If z=(X-mean)/Standard deviation then, z = (X - 200)/50 and the z value for the additional 10% is approximately .25 from z table (don't remember exactly how to extrapolate the exact z value from the table). So .25 = (X - 200)/50 multiply both sides by 50 to get 12.5 = X - 200, add 200 to each side to get x = 212.5. Remember this is an approximation because the actual z value is between .25 and .26.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I need your assistance [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everybody, Please I need some information about help desk and its functions. Regards,

In need of assistance [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this. I'm 25, married, and have a 5 year old little girl. Hard working (60+) hours a week and I can not seem to get ahead at all. I'm renting and am struggling to pay off old debt as well as current bills. I can't afford to pay off everything and survive. I have gotten local...

I really need assistance [ 3 Answers ]

I am new to the 'business world' and need a bit of help, I am having a hard time understanding what they are asking in the following question: Last year rattner Robotics had $5,000,000 in operating income (EBIT). The company had net depreciation expense of $1,000,000 and interest expemse of...

Financial Assistance [ 1 Answers ]

Do the government offer any financial aid for felons?

View more questions Search