Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mitchykov Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Should I walk away
    So in October, my ex husband and I finalized our divorce. The divorce decree says that I am responsible for the first mortgage and he is responsible for the second and when are prepayment penalty has expired Feb 2009, we will sell the house and split the value. He gets to live in the home, while Im 1500 miles away.

Since then he has not kept up with his payments or the payments to the homeowners association. I spoke with our lawyer who wrote him a letter informing him of his responsibility. I keep paying my share and on time. In the meantime we are at risk of foreclosure because of his lack of responsibility.

My father thinks I should simply walk away and stop paying my share. Tells me lots of people do it and if I pay everything else on time which I do, that in the end it will be OK. I think that is a ridiculous idea. The question is should I keep paying for something I will never see or should I walk away.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Welcome to AMHD. I believe you should reinvolve your attorney and ask to have the order of court either enforced or modified. It is possible that over a period, regardless of length, one's objectives have changed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2008, 09:02 AM
    If you walk away and let it go in foreclosure, there is no guarantee that you will still not end up owing on the mortgage. So walking aways is the last thing you want to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy can't walk probably [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... My small Rottweller can't walk probably, especially after meals totally can't moved, take more rest then walk few steps then take a rest again. Don't know why it is happen?:( :confused:

Kitten that can't walk [ 2 Answers ]

Today my cat gave birth. One of the kittens has both of her back legs deformed. I don't think that she will be able to walk. And I don't want to put her to sleep. I was wondering when she gets bigger if there is some kind of surgery that she can have to help her walk. Or maybe some device that I...

How do you walk away? [ 6 Answers ]

Im still having trouble letting go of my 3 year relationship with my ex girlfriend. Its been almost 3 months maybe 4 and I still can't walk away without wanting to try to make it work with her and when it comes to trying not to be her friend I can't do that either I go a day maybe a week at best...

Can I walk away? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, here is my story. I live in an apartment complex in Florida. I have put in various maintenance requests, but only about 1/2 of them they forward to maintenance. I recently had to call code enforcement to resolve one issue. This resulted in my landlord absolutely hating me, but the job...

Should I walk away? [ 213 Answers ]

hey guys I am new to this site so please bare with me =) I am 26 year old male who I would say am a good looking guy, I own my own house, I have a good job etc... I guess what I am trying to say is I have a good life and I have a lot to show for. Now 6 montn I fell deeply in love with an old...

View more questions Search