Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    70cougar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 11:19 PM
    Power of atty over elderly mother
    My mother gave me power of atty in 2005. Her atty never released this document to me until just recently. The document is dated in 2005 and notarized. After being named power of atty for my elderly mother in 2005. My brother who lives in another state came to visit in January of 2007 and coerced my mother to change her will in his favor. All of these legal transactions were performed by the same atty. Is this new will void since I had already been named power of atty and the power of atty was in affect. Should I have been notified of the change. I found out by accident that the will had been changed.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 8, 2008, 05:19 AM
    Your power of attorney only works if you mother can no longer make her own decisions. I guess her attorney would know if she made the changes with a sounds mind at the time.

I had a power of attorney for my mom and only used it after dementia had taken hold of her mind and she could no longer make her own decisions or sign her name.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 70cougar
    my mother gave me power of atty in 2005. Her atty never released this document to me until just recently. The document is dated in 2005 and notarized. After being named power of atty for my elderly mother in 2005. My brother who lives in another state came to visit in january of 2007 and coerced my mother to change her will in his favor. All of these legal transactions were performed by the same atty. Is this new will void since I had already been named power of atty and the power of atty was in affect. Should I have been notified of the change. I found out by accident that the will had been changed.

The Power of Attorney and Will are two different things serving two different purposes. The P/A does not give you control over your mother herself.

And, no, there is no law requiring you to be notified when your mother changed her Will.

A lot of people sign P/A to other people and the P/A is never acted upon because the person who signed never needs anyone to look over their financial affairs. It's simply a precaution.

So keep records and notes and when your Mother dies try to set the Will aside, claiming coercion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt & my elderly mother [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, I'm new to this. My mom (she's 84) has Parkinson's Disease. Diagnosed in 2003. I moved her in with me at the start of 2003, we sold her house in July of 2003, she no longer owns real estate, car or anything. She was on a Debt Management plan to pay off her credit cards, but due to recent...

Can I claim <My elderly Mother-in -Law as a dependent on my 2007 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim MY elderly Mother-in-Law on My 2007 taxes :)

How do I file a Real Estate Lien against my brother for my elderly mother? [ 9 Answers ]

Brother tricked elderly mother in transferring her ownership in her real estate to him. Her name is no longer on the deed. The transfer of property at zero dollars value to her, who paid the mortgage and still does through her social security check. He thereafter, removed her from her home. He...

No-show known in advance by plaintiff atty, my atty not told in advance [ 3 Answers ]

Will I be able to prevail in small claims court against the plaintiff's attorney and/or her? My ex-girlfriend filed a motion for a 2-year protective order to keep me out of our jointly-owned house. At the hearing, she didn't appear, but her attorney truthfully claimed that she was on business...

View more questions Search