Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naomprice Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Hi all here are some pictures of the proud mama and the babes, one boy and two girls. Sadly there was a little boy born last that did not make it - was born dead and I wasn't able to get him to ever come around :( Thank God the rest seem to be doing great, thank you all again for all of your help! Enjoy the pics and I will post some more soon as I get some close ups of the little ones. Thanks again!
    Hopefully these come through, I'm not relly sure how to do this!

Mom & babes:
    http://webmail.aol.com/35874/aim/en-...Inbox&partId=2

Mom & babes:

Baby boy:
    svatnsdal Posts: 183, Reputation: 20
    -

Apr 9, 2008, 02:06 PM
    I clicked on those and it couldn't do anything. Can you post pictures here?

Apr 9, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Sorry about that I wasn't sure if they would go through, they worked when I clicked on them... if you can tell me how to post them, them then I will try.

Apr 9, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Hey guys can anyone tell me how long it takes for the mommy dog to start acting normal again? About two hours ago, she started heavy panting, this went on for several minutes, then she stopped. However this has happened twice now and it kind of reminds me of when she was in labor but with no purshing or straining! During these times she shows no interest in food, but when she isn't panting she is ravenous. She doesn't seems to be running a fever or in any pain. Any ideas what could be going on?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 9, 2008, 05:09 PM
    I would tend to think she is just in recovery mode. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as she is eating and taking care of her babes. She's probably still a little worn out. How many pups did she end up having?
    -

Apr 9, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Make sure she is getting water! Panting is how dogs sweat! You don't really need to worry about food right now, but you have got to make sure she is drinking water!
    -

Apr 9, 2008, 05:17 PM
    I am looking for a good web site for you to check out, I read in one that a vet should check the mom and puppies out within the first 12 hours after birth. Now that, I'm not sure is really important, unless something just doesn't seem right.
    If she makes signs like she's trying to push another puppy out, call a vet immediately!
    I can't remember what web sites others have given you, but here is one I found,
    Giving Birth to Puppies
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 05:25 PM
    I would think that some of the panting is due to stress. I have only witnessed a cat have kittens and one of the things the mamma cat did was pant. Also I would make sure that she was not being bothered by people or other animals coming and going.

I would like to add that you are a very kind person to help this dog out.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Okay, once again info that I found on the net, not mine, but sounds accurate to me;

Wouldn't you pant if you gave birth to one or more baby's! LOL She's tired and now she has puppies to feed. It's a good idea to let your vet give the mother dog a physical to be sure all is well with her. In most cases 'mom' is just fine and the puppies will be too. She may wander off a little just to get away from the puppies, but will certainly come back at feeding time. Be sure you let the mother dog and puppies have as much quiet time as possible for the first week and don't allow the puppies to be handle too much.

Makes sense I think. Keep us updated.

Apr 10, 2008, 04:50 AM
    Hi all just wanted to let everyone know that mom and baies are doing great, no more heavy panting since last night, and pups have nice round little bellies! :) Yay! Thanks for helping me out evryone, this is just so new to me and its great that there are people out there like you who are willing to help. Thanks again. I'm still working on trying to get the pictures posted on here directly, so far no luck though.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 10, 2008, 05:52 AM
    So happy to hear that momma and babes are all doing great! Keep all of us Aunties and Uncles updated! :)
    Pets Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Naomi - Glad to hear that the puppy family is doing well, keep up the good work!

Apr 13, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Hi all I can't seem to figure out how to get the pictures on this site, if anyone knows how I can send the pictures to you and maybe you will have better luck than me. Mommy and the pups are doing good, and are getting bigger already. They go see the vet tomorrow morning. What do you guys know about tail docking? My vet suggested that I have their tails docked because of the breed, but I hate the idea of the puppies suffering especially when I think that look adorable as is. What do you all think? Let me know. Thanks.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 13, 2008, 03:28 PM
    I'm glad to hear that momma and babies are all doing well :)

If the vet recommends getting their tails docked, I would do it. It really doesn't hurt them much at all. I used to have 2 Dobermans, and I had their tails docked, and it didn't even phase them at all. It's best to get it done when they are very young too.

I don't know how to post pics on here either, but Altenweg (Alty) just may be able to help you with that. We're all excited to see them! :D
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2008, 03:54 PM
    There are nerves in the tail and sometimes docking them will cause damage to their spine. Even animals that are born without tails have a genetic spinal problem.

I have a rat terrier mix that has his tail docked and he wags the little short thing all of the time so I am sure that this is probably part of the reason why he suggested it. I will say that I have seen quite a few rat terriers that they leave their tails alone.

Maybe get a 2nd opinion, but I would not wait to long I am sure there is a cut off age at which it should be done. I will see if I can find a site that discuss the pros and con for you.
    Pets Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Once again this was found on the interenet. I do not have experience with tail docking, although I did have a poodle with a docked tail who suffered back problems all throughout his life. Having said that, here is the info I found. I personally would ask the vet why he thinks it necessary to dock their tails.

Tail docking has also been performed for centuries and although it may cause pain, it is often done without any anaesthetic. Tail docking is performed when the puppy is only a few days old and involves removing the hair from the tail and then clamping the tail with a rubber band at the desired length, at which point it is cut with a scalpel or cutters, stitched up, and bandaged. In the process, muscles, tendons, nerves, bone, and cartilage is severed.

Some say it is required for dogs with feathered coats for hygiene reasons or for working dogs. Most do it to give their dog a “traditional” look for dog shows. However, tail docking is not necessary for hygienic reasons or for working dogs, and can be a painful procedure that should not be performed for purely cosmetic reasons. More and more veterinarians are refusing to perform it. A dog's tail is important both for balance and body language.

Breeds that commonly have their tails docked are spaniels, some pointers, some working breeds, terriers, and some herding breeds.

The Kennel Club in the UK has banned the exhibition of dogs with cropped ears or docked tails in dog shows as of 2007. The Canadian Kennel Club permits the showing of uncropped or undocked dogs; however, the “traditional” look is still the norm.

Tail docking is banned in many countries in Europe and has been banned in Australia since 2004, except when performed by a veterinarian for medical reasons. Members of Parliament in the United Kingdom voted to ban tail docking in March 2006, except for working dogs or for medical reasons.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 04:38 PM
    A similar painful and possibly life-altering procedure for cats is declawing, which removes cartilage, bone, nerves, and muscle up to the first joint. Physical problems and emotional anguish are often results from declawing.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Apr 13, 2008, 04:51 PM
    The puppies will be 6 days old by tomorrow if I am doing the math correctly. Docking is usually done within the first 48 hours and done for cosmetic reasons. It is usually done to meet the breed standard by breeders and by those interested in showing the dog. There is a reason it is becoming illegal in many countries. Amputating a dogs tail for cosmetic reasons does not seem like the humane choice to me. I do not mean to offend, however if the puppies are not full bred which I assume you have no way of knowing, what would be the reason for docking?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 13, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teachnk
    The puppies will be 6 days old by tomorrow if I am doing the math correctly. Docking is usually done within the first 48 hours and done for cosmetic reasons. It is usually done to meet the breed standard by breeders and by those interested in showing the dog. There is a reason it is becoming illegal in many countries. Amputating a dogs tail for cosmetic reasons does not seem like the humane choice to me. I do not mean to offend, however if the puppies are not full bred which I assume you have no way of knowing, what would be the reason for docking?
    I've believe I've changed my mind with this and Alty's info. I did have my Dobies tails done, but it was probably more than 20 yrs ago, and the vet did tell me it was for hygiene and health reasons. Guess I learned something new today. :)

If it is only for aesthetic reasons and outward appearance, there is no reason to unnecessarily put a little fur babe through the pain of that experience. Like I had mentioned, it didn't seem to have any ill effects on my Dobies, but maybe they were just lucky. Or maybe they were just trying to be tough guys... awww, now I feel bad for doing it. :( I didn't know! I guess that's why you should always do your research right?

Apr 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Hi teachnk, no offense taken and no I don't know if they are mixed or not. I actually really don't care for the idea of having the pups tails docked, it was just what my vet suggested that I have done. From what everyone has shown me (Thanks all!), I now don't think that it is good to have it done, especially since it past the normal time to have it done. As for my vet he said it was for cosmetic reasons. But I have decided not to have it done. I think these babies are perfect already and don't need to have their tails shortened. They are perfect as they are.
    Thank you everyone for getting me all the helpful info and for your thoughts, it helped me to make my mind up and not have their tails done. Have a nice night all!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just Got an IUD and Found out I'm pregnant [ 6 Answers ]

I Just put an IUD in 2 days ago. They asked me at the doctors if I was pregnant and I said no. Later the thought occurred to me that I really might be pregnant because no birth control is 100% effective. I took a test today and it was positive. 2 months ago I became pregnant and had a...

I just turned 18 and found out pregnant [ 8 Answers ]

OK well I have been with this guy off and on for 6 months and we found out that I am pregnant the day after my b-day and until that day he had never hit me or even raised his hand to hit me that night he hit me in the face ans he done it again tonight I just want to get him back for all the he has...

Just found out I am pregnant. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone... I am 21 years old and just found out last night that I am pregnant. This obviously wasn't a planned pregnancy. How do I tell my boyfriend? I am worried and scared. Not to even think what my parents will say... Thank you for your comments.

Just found out that I'm pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

Just found out I'm pregnant, but unsure when I had my last period. My belly is quite bloated, I've been more hungry than usual. When I sqeeze my nipples as there is white dots on my nipple, I have clear fluid come out, I didn't think you have this until later pregnancy. This is my fourth pregnancy....

View more questions Search