Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetlivin14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 10:00 PM
    What happens to first time shoplifters at court?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 10:47 PM
    They can be prosecuted, obviously.. they could get away with probation and fines, it's hard to say.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlivin14

Where and the dollar amount -?
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 9, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Where and the dollar amount -?
    Maybe you can help me. What about under $30.00 theft in Ga. For a 17 year old.
    17 is considered an adult in Ga.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk
    Maybe you can help me. What about under $30.00 theft in Ga. for a 17 year old.
    17 is considered an adult in Ga.

Okay, this is what I find. In Georgia: Shoplifting is a misdemeanor when the value if UNDER $300. The penalty is a fine, possible community service, probably banned from the store/mall for a period. You must also make restitution (pay back what you took) and possibly pay any related expenses to the store such as time spent by security guards and so forth. If it is not the first offense it's a lot harder but I believe this is your first offense - ?

It becomes a felony when OVER $300 - and then they really play tough. But you don't need to know about that right now because, hopefully, this has been a lesson - a frightening, thought provoking, life altering lesson.

Make the Court happy and move on with your life.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Cozy, please redirect all of your questions here

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...pe-203973.html

This thread was opened by Sweetlivin14, we don't want to hijack her thread.
    joshrach1031 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Apr 1, 2009, 07:57 AM
    I had embezzlement 200-1000 I had to pay court cost fines and restitution and do communtity service and it would come off my record I also have the hyta act I also have probtion for 6 months but tis was a life changing experience people do not seal it is so stupid and dumb I regret every second of it it messed my life up joining the navy kind of down th drain now just saying don't let something so stupid screw up your life

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a time-limit for taking my ex to court? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My ex-wife still owes me money from our separation. We had agreed that she would give me $15,000 (minus any mortgage arrears at that time, which was $2400), and she would take over the mortgage and it (the house) would be put in her name. She gave me $3,000 in Aug/04, I have tried to...

How can I "buy more time" ? My court date is next week! [ 2 Answers ]

I have to be in court next week regarding a 6,000 debt. There was never a mediation that took place like the trial response said. The only thing that happened was I called up there a few weeks ago and the receptionist just asked me 'what would you be able to pay'.. and off the top of my head I...

Court filing time? [ 1 Answers ]

I got a DUI and a hit and run about a month ago.. I went into court yesterday and they said that they had no received any charges against me and that the sheriff had not filed it yet. It has been over a month.. is there a time that they have to submit the stuff to the court by?

Forgot going to the court 3rd time! [ 17 Answers ]

We live in New Jersey, Garden State. My husband had a small driving violation. I think he moved to other lane by mistake without flashing. The policeman stopped him and fined him for 500 dollars. My husband preferred going to the court in an attempt to pardon the fine. He got court date. He...

View more questions Search