Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jasminebanafshe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 03:12 PM
    card probability
    if I were to pick a card from a standard deck, shuffle and do it 9 more times, what is my probability that at least 2 of the 10 cards I draw are the same?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 03:14 PM
    If you have a standard deck, you shouldn't have ANY of the same card.

If you DO---someone's been cheating at poker.
    CLUBCHAMP04 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Assuming that the cards are replaced after each draw, the second draw would have a 1 in 52 chance of being the same card as the first draw. The third draw would have a 2 in 52 chance of being the same as either of the first two draws. The fourth draw a 3 in 52 chance of matching the first 3 draws... the tenth draw a 9 of 52 chance of being the same as the previous 9 draws. All of these probabilities are independent and thus cumulative so, the probability would be (9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1)/52 or 45/52. Quite likely!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to start a calling card / phone card business? [ 10 Answers ]

I would like to start a calling card / phone card business with little capital. If anybody knows how to do this please advise me. Any advice welcome.

MS probability [ 1 Answers ]

Who is more likely to get MS, men or women? (I'm trying to settle a debate here)

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

A tall building is designed for a 100-year wind; i.e. the probability of annual maximum wind speed exceeding the design speed is 1%. a) What is the probability that the design wind speed will be exceeded for the first time on the fifth year after completion of the building? How about the...

Probability [ 6 Answers ]

A bowl contains ten chips numbered 1,2,. 10 respectively. Five chips are drawn at random, one at a time, without replacement. What is the probability that 2 even-numbered chips are drawn and they occur on even-numbered draws? I tried (OEOEO) 5/10*5/9*4/8*3/6=5/126 and then I tried all...

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

I have another good probability question that I can't answer. An ordinary six-sided die is rolled 12 times. If X1 is the number of 1's and X2 is the number of 2's and so on, give the probability for: a. P(X1=2, X2=3, X3=1, X4=0, X5=4, X6=2) b. P(X1=X2=X3=X4=X5=X6)

View more questions Search