Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    James Sterk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Ex calls and denies weekend
    Because of my national guard drills once a month my ex and I have to be flexible when it comes to getting my daughter twice a month, well I was supposed to get her dropped off to me on a wed during spring break and have her until Saturday when I was to drop her off. Well my ex called 2 hours before she was supposed to drop her off and told me that I had to pick her up and that she wanted her back Friday instead, I told her this was not right, she agreed to something she should stick to it, I could go pick her up but I still wanted to keep her until Saturday. She said no and I said that I would try and settle this through the lawyer because she does these things from time to time and I have had enough. What I want to know is, do I have a case I can win? She denied me the whole time and said tough then, and then I didn't get her for two more weeks. Does this count as contempt?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 02:29 PM
    You can take her back to court and get a firm order to have specific weekends, if you then can't do them, you lose your visit, on those weekends she has to.

On one weekend denied, no the judge will only warn her at most, most likely just tell the two of you to work it out or to merely follow the formal order exactly
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by James Sterk
    because of my national gaurd drills once a month my ex and i have to be flexible when it comes to getting my daughter twice a month, well i was supposed to get her dropped off to me on a wed during spring break and have her untill saturday when i was to drop her off. well my ex called 2 hours before she was supposed to drop her off and told me that i had to pick her up and that she wanted her back friday instead, i told her this was not right, she agreed to something she should stick to it, i could go pick her up but i still wanted to keep her untill saturday. she said no and i said that i would try and settle this through the lawyer because she does these things from time to time and i have had enough. what i want to know is, do i have a case i can win? she denied me the whole time and said tough then, and then i didn't get her for two more weeks. does this count as contempt?

Putting your two posts together - and you questioned if you quit your job and went back to school if and why you would still have to pay child support - I suspect that your ex's failure to cooperate may have some basis in her mind.

And, certainly, you can go back to Court and see if you can get her held in contempt - just be aware that the whole child support issue is also going to surface there.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by James Sterk
    my ex and i have to be flexible when it comes to getting my daughter twice a month, ........she wanted her back friday instead, i told her this was not right, she agreed to something she should stick to it, i could go pick her up but i still wanted to keep her untill saturday. she said no and i said that i would try and settle this through the lawyer .......... she denied me the whole time and said tough then
    To me, it sounds like the flexibility broke down on your end. She seems to have been fairly flexible in accommodating your schedule. For what ever reason, something came up that she wanted some flexibility back from you... and that set the whole dispute into motion.

When you say things like "I'll let the lawyer settle this..." that would only serve to shut off any further communication.

Sorry, man, I know it is not easy but the flexibility needs to go both ways... and I'm not a man hater... I am a divorced dad as well and know how it feels to have my ex act like my ideas are terrible when I suggest them only to wait a few months when she considers the very same thing to be her idea, and then suddenly it is a wonderful plan.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Contempt is where someone is alleged to have willfully violated a court order. If she had any discretion at all, contempt will be very difficult to prove. You may want to have the custody award modified to give you defined visitation, but that may mean no flexibility going forward.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weekend Horror. [ 25 Answers ]

I don't know what to do about my parent Mainly my mom She's fine during the week, like the normal average mother But on weekends she always drunk. Right now she just got back from a bar with the neighbours. And is sleeping The worste part is She drove home, Now, she got a drive from our...

Landlord denies to renew lease. [ 26 Answers ]

Hi this is Ashes from Pennsylvania, recently me and my fiancé received a letter in the mail telling us that our landlord is exercising their right not to renew our lease and must vacate by the end of April. We've done nothing wrong, meanwhile our landlord has formed a double standard lease telling...

Weekend calls, No Compensation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I work for a service and repair company, I forward the office phone to my cell phone 2 weekends a month, I answer calls and dispatch technicians... I am an hourly employee, but do not get any compensation when I am on call on the weekend, is this legal?

Something for the weekend... [ 3 Answers ]

Eye have a spelling cheque err It came with my pea sea It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea. Eye strike a key & type a word And weight for it two say Weather I am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh. As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee four two long

Employer denies obligation to pay OT [ 4 Answers ]

I am a non salaried hourly employee in a customer service position. From advice of the Colorado Dept of Labor, I would qualify for overtime. According to the CDL description any time worked by a qualified individual during a work week. Work Week being Sunday to Saturday. In excess of 40 hour is...

View more questions Search