Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wetherellj Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Basement Rough-In plumbing
    Hello Experts,

I recently bought a 2-year old house that had a rough-in in the basement and wanted to make sure I knew what all the pipes are. There are three pipes sticking out of the cement.

The big one is obviously the toilet, the one with the cut-out around it I think is for the shower, and I guess the other is for the sink. Also, there is a pipe coming down from the ceiling that is capped off on the bottom that isn't connected to anything, is this the pipe I need to vent to?

One last question, I hear that toilet doesn't need to be vented directly, does this mean I just vent the sink and shower that are right next to it and everything is good?

Thanks for the help

Jason
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Hey Jason:

You lucked out a bit here... ;) but not a perfect job... for sure... Let me explain.

By the layout presented.. I think this is roughed in for a tub... not a shower.

A typical tub is 30" wide and toilets require that there be at least 15" from left and from right to center of toilet... so.. think you are looking at tub here (check by measure though to be sure! ).

Good news is that the capped line looks like a 2" FUTURE VENT...You are right...just connect vent from the 2" pipe in pic. And may in fact vent whole bathroom.

That means that you want to tee off 2" pipe in future wall to run over to sink (cannot exceed 5 to 6 feet from 2" pipe) on horizontal branch of tee. On vertical, connect that up to that capped 2" pipe.

The toilet pipe should have been wrapped in foam or similar material so could set closet flange OVER pipe. In this case, I think a TWIST AND SET closet flange will work best (needs to sit inside pipe, on top of finished floor)... see pic.

Let us know what you think... Mark

Attached Images

Apr 3, 2008, 02:59 AM
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE QUICK ANSWER!!

I think I understand everything you are saying, just the sink line will run vertically to the vent.

Also, I can run the drain to the sink as long as its less than 5 feet from the vertical pipe. That means I can run it to the left of the toilet?

Thanks again.

Jason
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 3, 2008, 03:08 AM
    Hey Jason:

Yes on vent... And, yes..you can run sink to the left of toilet (up to 5-6 feet). So, install a 2" x 1.5" sanitary tee fitting to pick up sink and I would also recommend that you install a 2" dandy cleanout just above or just below that tee (if accessible from behind the bath wall... looks like it will be). See picture.

Now..is that box out for tub or for shower? All depends... Tubs are 30 wide minimum (there are 28 inch models, but not for here! )... most neo-angle shower stall are 36 inches wide... they also make a premolded shower floors that begin at about 30" inches wide (meant to replace old tub over to shower)...and could always install your own custom shower pan.

If you measure from where you are going to frame the walls, what is distance from the face of the side wall to the center of the TOILET pipe?? What is measure from the face of the side wall to center of the tub/shower pipe?

These measures will help to determine your options, because as mentioned, need at least 15" from left and right of center of toilet pipe (more is even better). The toilet center also wants to be 12 to 12.5" off the face of the rough framed back wall (so can use standard 12" rough toilets). If not 12" to 12.5" as they left it in concrete.. should be OK as they also make 10" rough toilets and 14" rough toilets.. so there are options.

Take measures... let me know... Mark
    Attached Images

Apr 3, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Hey Mark, I don't know where you find the time to help everyone, but it is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what the intention of the rough in was, from what you are saying I think it must be for a bath. It is only 17" diagonal from the tub/shower drain to the water heater.

There are approximately 43" from the center of toilet drain to the unfinished wall on the left and 75" from the shower drain to the same wall. Where does the back wall go in relation to the tub drain? In front of it with the drain trap (I assume I need a trap in the box) under it, or does the wall support the drain.

Thanks again

Jason
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 3, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Hi Jason:

Looks pretty tight in there...

The back wall placement will be determined by that 2" drain pipe/vent for the sink...that is supposed to be inside wall.

After you establish how that pipe will fit in wall (plan center of wall to start) then want to measure from face of wall to center of toilet drain...you hope it is somewhere around 12"... let me know what it is.

There should be a trap in that box already... take off that cap, shine in light and see if water is in drain.. if not, add water to it... now look again.. Should be water there with trap... You just want to offset riser to drain after that... let me know... got some ideas for you based on your answers... Mark

Apr 3, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Good call Mark,

There is a trap already in there. The bad news is that the distance from the toilet to the back wall is definetely not going to be 12". My quick estimate is about 9" I could just make a small corner near the sink drain around the back of it to make the room.

I'm not sure what you mean by offset riser to drain.

You're the best.

Jason
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 3, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Hey Jason:

If move wall so pipe just fits in wall (justify pipe forward in wall).. should be able to pull a 10" rough....that will be critical. You need 10" from front of wall to toilet drain center to make this work... understand? Confirm if possible.
    If not, then may need to chop out a little concrete and install an offset closet flange... but will discuss that ONLY if necessary.

The riser... what I meant is that if trap present (and it is! ) then will only need to offset the vertical pipe coming out of the trap using (2) 45 degree fittings to line drain up with the tub waste and overflow assembly of the new tub (joins by PVC desanco fitting).

Overall... side wall (foundation) to side wall (near water heater).. sounds like you want to maximize width as much as possible by building wall up pretty near to water heater... then that should allow you a 30 inch space for tub, a 30"-32" space for toilet and should be able to fit a 24 " vanity/pedestal in there, too.

Lay everything out... snap your lines... square all up... see what dimensions you are left with... use all info. I provided you to check/confirm issues that come up... let us know what you find... Mark

Apr 3, 2008, 01:02 PM
    I think I understand everything, last question (well for today anyway) I read that 1/4" per foot is the run needed for the sink drain, is that a min or an exact number.

Thanks

Jason

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Plumbing Rough-In questions [ 1 Answers ]

Our builder's plumber put in our plumbing rough-in in the basement. Our house is 7 months old. The layout and What I can see is as follows: 2" PVC shower drain stub is 20 3/4 inch from the concrete wall. According the the builder the layout calls for a tub positioned longways along this wall....

Plumbing in basement without rough ins? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We are looking at purchasing a home that has great basement space, however, the house was built without rough ins in the basement. To finish the basement and add bathroom, sink, and wetbar, what will we need to do to ensure the plumbing can be accomplished? Your answers are...

Rough in Basement Plumbing Question [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I had my basement roughed in for a shower, toilet and sink. The pipe for the toilet sticks out of the concrete and is 12" from finished wall. There is a 2" PVC pipe behind the toilet that will be located within my framework. I am guessing this is the vent for the toilet and also a wet...

Basement plumbing rough-in [ 2 Answers ]

I am intending on finishing my basement and using the existing plumbing rough-ins to put in a bathroom. I am having a little trouble making sense of the rough-in layout - see the attached drawing. I understand the stub through the floor is for the toilet and I believe the box out contains the...

View more questions Search