Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vikrant123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2006, 05:50 PM
    OPT>H1 refund estimate status wise?
    Hello all,
    Hello ATE,

I have been reading these forums, and I really am confused about what my status is.

So here's my case:

1) Working for employer A from Feb 1 2005 to Present.
    ( Feb 1 to Oct 14, 2005 on OPT, Oct 15, 2005 to Present on H1B)

2) Total earning on W2, $34,384
    Total Federal Witheld: $5300

My questions:

1) What status should I file under? NR, Resident or Dual?
    2) Considering my earnings, which is the best status to file under?
    3) Can someone give me a rough estimate of the refunds I should expect? I am working in NJ
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2006, 09:18 PM
    1) You can file dual status right now or wait until June to file as a resident.

Need to know nationality to give accurate refund estimate for non-resident. If you are Indian, then the refund will be the same as the resident return, which is $1740.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Estimate [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am in the process of finishing my basement with Drop celing.. Would like to know if one of you could tell me how much its going to cost me in terms of Material Cost. Total Finished Sq Ft 550 Drop Celing 550 SqFt If you can tell me how to calculate the cost for Lumber, as I will be...

Duel Status anyway but SST refund [ 10 Answers ]

I already filed 2005 tax return as a duel status. I got already refund what I filed. After that, I claimed my SST/Med for a partial year. My employer already deducted its tax during my F-1 period. I got it denied because it appeared 1040. I explained my status as a duel on the phone, but...

Social Security Refund for Dual Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hello , I was on OPT status till SEPT40 2005 and from Oct1st2005 my status changed from OPT to H1. My company still withdrew my Social security and medicare taxes and asked me to get it back while failing for taxes. I am an Indian citizen and I guess I come under Dual Status and can file the...

Home value estimate [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know a website where I can have an estimate of my home without entering my personal details. I have noted that several sites which can provide this information ask for SSN numbers etc. is anyone out there aware of any site that can provide this estimate for free. I just want to have...

NJ resident work in NYC - need help for filing estimate tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a resident of New Jersey and work in New York City. I have some realized capital gain from stock trading. Where should I file state estimate tax? To NYC or NJ ? I also have some income from NJ in the first 3 months in 2005. Can I file my estimate tax to NJ to avoid higher rate in NY...

View more questions Search