Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katya_Toronto Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 07:25 AM
    The best food for dogs/puppies
    Hi there, I am wondering what is the best food for dogs/puppies. I hear so many opinions but still not sure what to choose... I've heard that the dog food is bad and don't mind to spend time for cooking food for my puppy (chocolate lab). Please advise.
    Thanks very much,
    Katya
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Dog food won't make your dog drop dead if that's what your worried about... some sources claim that making your own food could though because dogs need specific nutrients. If you do decide to make your own food just make sure it has everything a dog needs, and run it by your vet first, because the people who make their own food generally know what they're doing.
    As far as picking a specific brand... you're right that is tricky. What brand was the person you bought the dog from using? It's generally best to stick with one brand and use it unless you think it is causing problems with your dog.
    I've got a 119 pound choclate lab (no he's not fat just really tall) and we used purina puppy chow until he was one years old, and then switched to regular purina dog chow, and when he gets older they also have food for senior dogs. They've got all sorts of food though like Eukanuba, and stuff like that all of which I'm sure are all right, just watch your dog and see how he likes it.
    Good luck with the pup... oh you probably already know but labs love to chew, I might suggest those huge knuckle bones from horses and cows, it keeps them off the furniture and trees and stuff like that.
    Unregistered Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 1, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Thanks very much! It was helpful. We are feeding the puppy with Purina Puppy and she likes it. We also got the special bones and toys for her. It's so true that these pus chew all the time, so we are training her not to chew on us :)
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Apr 1, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Make sure you stay away from rawhide. It is very dangerous as I am sure your vet will tell you. A kong is a great way to let your pup chew. I stuff them with the dry dog food half of the way and then the rest with peanut butter and freeze it. It make a great time consuming safe treat for teething puppies.
    On the subject of puppy food, I would discuss with your vet. Personally I prefer a premium or super premium brand only because it kind of creeps me out the ingredients that can end up in a grocery store brand (that's just me). I use Ultra that is the all natural/holistic high-end version of Nutro. Also, with a large breed like Labs many vets will recommend taking them off puppy food around 6 months. The reasoning is puppy food encourages quick growth and this can cause hip problems later on. TALK to YOUR VET. He/she should always be involved and consulted with these decisions. Best of luck to you and your furry friend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppies/Dogs Pooping in their crates [ 10 Answers ]

I have been a dog owner for many years :p and I would like to just ask one question. Why do dog owners continue to tell new dog owners that puppies do not poop in their crate? :mad: Puppies poop where ever they please until you teach them otherwise. They are not trained or born to know not to....

Is it OK to add cottage cheese to my dogs dry food? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a Golden-doodle about 1 1/2 yrs old. She is a wonderful companion and gives us so much pleasure. I feed her a high quality natural dry dogfood (many different brands), but she just picks at it all day, then usually leaves a lot of it. She will eat most of it if I add cottage cheese or...

When do I start feeding my puppies normal puppy food [ 4 Answers ]

I have puppies that are purebread shih tzu s. they were born on July 28th and I want to know when to start feeding them puppy food and not letting them milk off their mom?

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

When should I start feeding my dogs puppies? [ 1 Answers ]

My dog just had puppies on February 6,2007 but when should I start feeding them real puppy food?they are 19 days old.:eek: :eek:

View more questions Search