Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirsimkin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Forced to pay her legal fees?
    We've been married for a short time and my wife has relatively little assets compare to me. Can I be forced to pay her legal fees if she refuses to pay for her attorney?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Yes. A claim for payment of attorney fees is an alimony claim and coincides with a 'fault' issue. If your case is a "no fault" divorce, the fact that you have more assets may be determinative. To the extent that you may be 'at fault' for the separation and you have more assets, my guess is that you will pay all of her attorney expenses. This principle works both ways, by the way, and is gender neutral.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Its not atypical for one party in a divorce to be forced to pay the legal fees of the other party. Its up to the judge to rule on that.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 04:50 PM
    The judge is the one who determines who pays for what. Usually attorneys will not work for free (at least not too many of them that I know of do this), so your wife will have to expend some sums in order to retain him. He's going to fight tooth and nail to have the judge order you to pay for his services. Be sure not to let him run up the attorney's bill with frivilous motions and hearings which they are won't to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal fees for custody [ 6 Answers ]

We are considering taking on legal custody of 15 yr. old who's parents don't want him. He is my sister's son and therefore we are aunt and uncle. We feel that the biological parents should be responsible for the legal fees involved with the custody process. Is it reasonable to expect this and is it...

Recovering legal fees [ 10 Answers ]

I was indicated for money laundering, I was entrapped by government officials. I was found not guilty by a jury (Federal Ct). My lawyer's fees ran over $200,000 (what's the price of freedom... ) What are my chances of recovering this or part of this with a lawsuit against the government agency...

Legal fees [ 8 Answers ]

I wrote a check out to an attorney, who then said he did not accept checks. He said because it's a holiday "I will hold this check until tomorrow, bring cash, I'll give you back the check." I did that. I was in hurry to get to court and did not look at receipt till 2 days later. The receipt...

Who should pay legal fees for Priests? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is the church's stance on paying legal fees for Priests? For example, should donations intended for philanthropy be used to defend "offendors" who admit that they are guilty? Is it our duty to aid the rehabilitation of the clergy? If so, to what extent?

Being Evicted For Legal Fees [ 3 Answers ]

I was late on my rent 12 days and the landlord sent it to their attorneys. They told me I'd have to pay legal charges. I went in the night before I got paid to get the exact amount owed, because they would only take a money order in payment. They said a specific amount, which included $75...

View more questions Search