Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jahgurl25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 04:33 PM
    401K Early Withdrawal
    I recently withdrew from my 401K(im not 59 1/2) since I was resigning from this company. I had $423 in the account and when I received my check a 10% penalty was charged and so my question is are there any other fees I will be charged later on that I should be aware of.
    Turtle21 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jahgurl25
    I recently withdrew from my 401K(im not 59 1/2) since I was resigning from this company. I had $423 in the account and when I received my check a 10% penalty was charged and so my question is are there any other fees I will be charged later on that I should be aware of.
    Unfortunately any monies withdrawn from your 401-K account is taxable. The amount withdrawn must be listed as taxable income when you file your tax return. I know of no other charges.
    jennyl147 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 05:31 PM

Only that the 10% that was withheld may not be enough when you file your income tax next year. And you will owe a percentage to your state taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K early withdrawal [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 401K question about early withdrawel. Actually, let me give you a scenario: 401K balance - $28000.00 I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with an early withdrawel, which would be in this case $5600.00, and that would make the distribution...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

Early withdrawal of 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I will be migrating to New Zealand and would like to withdraw my 401K following my resignation. Can anyone please help me to understand how much of the total funds will be taxed and at what rate? I am hearing that I will have to pay 10% upon withdrawal but how much will I have to pay to state and...

401K Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My company was purchased by another company that has established a new 401K. I have not yet done anything with my previous 401K. I would like to take the cash from my previous 401K and pay off my son's school loan. If I use the money to pay of the education loan, I know I will have to pay taxes...

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

View more questions Search