Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LifePaparazzi Posts: 86, Reputation: 9

Mar 31, 2008, 01:47 PM
    What is the official Christian position on Paranormal Phenomena?
    What is the official Christian position on Paranormal Phenomena? I have been told that many Christians believe that all paranormal phenomena is the work of demons. Yet others believe that there are spirits that have not gone towards the proverbial light? Since, as far as I know, only the Catholics perform exorcism, do Catholics believe that ghosts are all demons? Your input appreciated.:)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Spirits and ghosts are two different things. Sometimes they are hard to tell apart and sometimes demonic spirits will make you believe they are a departed person.
    As far as the paranormal Christians are not suppose to involve themselves in some things involving the spiritual realm.

Mar 31, 2008, 04:33 PM
    So then, what exactly is a spirit? If there are spirits roaming the earth, why?
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 31, 2008, 05:38 PM
    I can only speak for those that I am familiar with. Pentecostals believe in "casting out demons/evil spirits."
    These passages may prove helpful.

Matt 8:31
    31 So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.
    (KJV)

Acts 19:15
    15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
    (KJV)

I is obvious from both these accounts that the evil spirits have will and intelligence. They are disembodied (evil) persons who desire to live in a body. Human preferably. Their origins are not clear. They are not fallen angels, as those have their own bodies. They are not departed humans, as humans are not allowed to roam the earth after death. They are liars, and will impersonate departed loved ones or historical figures when it pleases them. Humans are forbidden by God to have any contact with them, as in a séance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Ghosts are mentioned in the bible, when Jesus was walking on the water, they believed him to be a spriit or ghost.
    So I guess that means that the apostles believed in them??

In the Catholic church an exorcism is always considered a demon or unclean spirit that is to be cast out.
    Many other churches have exorcisms, many full gospel or charsmatic churches do them but with less ritual.

Mar 31, 2008, 07:01 PM
    So if a séance is against biblical principals, I wonder how ghost hunting is viewed?
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 07:05 PM
    It depends on how you go about it. You are not to communicate with spirits, ghosts or dead but I don't think there is really anything wrong with EVP's and investigating the history of a haunted place.

Mar 31, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    It depends on how you go about it. You are not to communicate with spirits, ghosts or dead but I don't think there is really anything wrong with EVP's and investigating the history of a haunted place.
    But then I must wonder; Most EVP's are gained by talking to "whatever" is haunting a place. So, woundn't that be communicating with the spirits?
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 07:19 PM
    I don't know to what extent, if at all, EVP's would be okay. I think it is rather borderline to do that if it is okay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paranormal phenomena in house [ 6 Answers ]

My sister just moved into a house and she thinks it really scary. We took pictures in the basement and on the pictures there are faces in everyone of them. We wanted to know if anyone was killed or died in the house

What is the Catholic position on Electronic Voice Phenomena? [ 130 Answers ]

For those having questions and wishing to know what the Catholic position is on communication with the deceased, please read the following information: EVP and Vatican

Paranormal phenomena [ 14 Answers ]

Hi guys, I need your opinion on a problem which me and my wife are facing in the recent days... Often when I or my wife lay on the bed to sleep something happens and we cannot move our body at all... we cannot move hand, feet, head etc... we feel that we are alive and we feel that we are...

Paranormal phenomena [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 kids my 9yr old said he heard a scarching sound like a dog with fleas scarching it self the only thing we have no dog I also seen shadows in my rm my 5yr old sees ghost he saya my moms house has some but at the house we have none.

Paranormal phenomena [ 4 Answers ]

I used to see a young man about my home, he would just "be there" from time to time... well once he showed up and really surprised me so I said "will you stop doing that", and now he never comes around... how should I invite him back so I may see what he wants/needs etc? Ps I live near saltville...

View more questions Search