Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dshomesinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Non matched wire size for temp genarator power
    I have to temp in existing 100 kw diesel generator. The load wires from the generator are paralleled 500mcm copper about 500' from the transfer switch.The existing 500 mcm are about 60' short of new location of transfer switch. I would like to use 350 al wire paralleled to run the last 60' on a temp basis.I would like to do this to save customer the expense of buying copper wire for a temp installation. I also want to do the correct installation even though it is going to be temp for possibly 9-12 months .Here is some misc info. The breaker at the generator is 400 breaker. The installation is residential.If you need any other info please let me know
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 31, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Actually 500 mcm copper is rated 380 Amps.
    Aluminum 350 mcm is rated 260 Amps, so extending with double wiring rates up to 520 Amps. No problem therefore!
    Success!
    As always : if this solves your problem, please rate the answer provided! Feed back is always appreciated!
    ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire Motor for 220 outlet Power from 110 power [ 1 Answers ]

I need to wire this sander for 220 power and do not understand the diagram well enough. Currently I believe it is wired for 110 shown in picture. Please advise about correct wiring for 220. Thank you 2 attachments

Wire Size and panel size [ 6 Answers ]

I have a separate small living quarters that is a single room that is about 180 feet away from the main panel. It is going to get another little bed room a small kitchen and a bathroom also maybe a washer. The main panel is a 100 amp meter socket combo. What should I upsize the main panel to? ...

Temp Power Outages and Surages [ 1 Answers ]

In the last year I have been having the lights in my 5 year old home flickering with the occasional outage for a few seconds. Just recently one room in the house surged while at the same time another room went out. Again this lasted about a second or two. I had our power provider come out and...

Wire size for large power upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

I have a meter established at my garage that has 250 amp service. There is nothing except a single light bulb there. 100 and 190 feet away I have two piers. I need to establish. The pier 100 ft away is 100 feet long. The pier 190 ft away is 260 feet long. I need 6 30 amp plugs on short pier and 8...

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search