Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkm_22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 08:46 PM
    Can F1 students claim higher education expense
    Hi
    I am a F1 student from India.

I would like to know if I can use the 1098T to claim for Hope or Lifetime Learning credits.

Thanks
    Joe
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 10:17 PM
    Joe:

No, you cannot claim any education credit if you file as a non-resident alien.

If you can file as a resident alien by waiting under the First Year Choice, do so!
    jkm_22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 10:41 PM
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply.

But I am in the US as an F1 since August 2003,
    Can I consider myself as Resident Alien for tax purposes and use the education credit.

Thanks
    Joe
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Joe:

No. The exemption to the Substantial Presence Test that the F-1 visa imposes is good for five calendar years, which means you are exempt from the Substantial Presence Test through 2007.
    srin9372 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Hi,

I am a student on a J1 status. The requirements for using the education credit say that I can only file if I have not elected to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes. What does this mean and where could I have made this decision? I don't know if I am treated as a resident alien for tax purposes.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 10:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jkm_22 View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    But I am in the US as an F1 since August 2003,
    Can I consider myself as Resident Alien for tax purposes and use the education credit.

Thanks
    Joe
    Yes, for 2008 and after that you will file resident tax return. You can claim education credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Higher Vertical Jump [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to increse my vertical leap. I'm 13 and I'm only 5'0. I'm pretty good for my height. Well, anyway, I think it would really help out my game if I could grab more boards and play better defense. How can I increase my leap?

Accounting for promotional expense [ 1 Answers ]

I just opened a restaurant and gave away $4000 in sales the first day. I am not sure what journal entry to make. And should it be booked at cost or fair market value? My guess is that the debit entry would be Promotional expense ($) but I am not sure what the credit entry would be. Also,...

Moving Expense Deduction Help ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in May 2005 and got my Wife with me to Virginia. Then I changed my job and moved to Florida (1000 miles) relocation. 1) So can I deduct my Wife's air-ticket expense from India to USA ? I heard from my friend that a CPA told him we could deduct moving expenses "IF YOU OR...

View more questions Search