Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evatang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 04:04 PM
    J1 visa holder, earn only $6000 a year, qualify for tax refunds?
    I am J1 visa holder (with Hong Kong residency, which is not included in the tax treaty).
    My salary is only 6000 per year.
    I am currently paying both state and federal taxes.

Do I qualify for a tax refund, since I earn so little?
    Would I able to get all my taxes refund or just partial?
    Do I fill in the tax refund form after the tax year?
    Or can I stop the automatic tax withdrawals immediately?

I heard that some J visa holders can apply for rental tax deduction?
    Is that possible in my status?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 04:02 AM
    You will file nonresident tax return. On federal return your exemption is $3,400 plus state income tax deduction. So you have about $2,500 of taxable income. Your tax is about $250.

You must file your tax return since your income is over $3,400.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a J2 visa holder exempted from tax? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a J1 visa holder from China, working as postdoc research fellow. Currently how many years can a J visa holder be exempted from tax? As J status has been extended to a total of 5 years, is there a corresponding extension for the period for tax exemption? My husband is now working in...

Tax rebate for L2 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I'm resident in the US on an L2 visa and will shortly be leaving to return to my home country (UK) after less than 2 years in the USA. I've been employed in the USA for the past year and have paid all applicable Federal/Medicare/State taxes. Am I entitled to any tax rebates upon departure...

J1 visa tax refunds [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a physician working in the US, I am on a J1 visa. I came to learn that its different for us when it comes to filing for tax refund. I started my job in 2005, and since then I have been my employer has been holding federal, state, local, social security and medicare taxes from my...

Tax refunds from prior year [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there my name is amanda and I have never filed my taxes on my own before. So I was wondering do you have to put down the tax refunds from federal and state from the year before? Also are these refunds considered a wage? Thank you Amanda

Tax for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 5 Answers ]

I am in H1b Visa, my wife came here in H4 visa in Nov 15, 2006. Can I fill 1040 for 2006 jointly with my wife so that we can receive 13000 standard deduction? She needs a ITIN? She can not have a SSN. Thanks.

View more questions Search