Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwilkins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Banging cold water pipe
    I recently replaced the internal parts of my toilet and ever since I did when I flush the toilet, I can hear the cold water pipe bang behind the wall downstairs. How do I fix this problem?
    kathylea Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2008, 06:17 PM
    You could try placing a piece of styrofoam behide the pipe and wall did you use copper piping . Here in canada they allow pex which is a flexible water piping that can be attached with fittings to go over the copper to.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 07:34 PM
    I am assuming that you hear the banging when the toilet shuts off. The sudden increase of pressure causes the pipe to bang against something. If you have access to the pipe (anywhere) install a bumper or shock absorber.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging cold mains water pipe in bathroom. [ 7 Answers ]

I'm just wondering if you could give me some advice as to what to do... When I turn on the cold water tap (mains pressure water) in the bathroom upstairs, water comes out normally until I turn it a bit more until water should be coming out fast, it then slows down then I hear banging and the...

Trickling or No Water in Cold Water Pipe in 1 Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

The cold water in the sink and toilet tank in our basement bathroom comes out either as a trickle or not at all. The cold water works fine in all the other bathrooms (2), the kitchen and laundry room. The toilet water connection is turned on all the way, as is the sink. The hot water in the sink...

Midnight pipe banging [ 2 Answers ]

I was awakened by pipe banging that sounded like a jackhammer going off. No water was running at the time. It has happened again once or twice already today. My kids are terrified. The water company says it's my problem. What should I do?

Rust stain on cold water supply pipe [ 8 Answers ]

I am near the end of a kitchen renovation. Yesterday I was looking at some pictures taken at an earlier stage when I noticed a rust stain on the cold water pipe that supplies my kitchen sink (photo attached). I have since covered this pipe with drywall, but I'm wondering if it's worth cutting a...

Pipe banging other than water hammer? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, Recently the pipes in our house have started banging. My initial thoughts were loosely hanging pipes or water hammer. I secured the pipes better/tighter with hangers, but the problem continues. Water hammer would be a possible idea, except it only seems to happen from the toilet pipes...

View more questions Search