Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meconsumer2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Roofing !
    Which is a better way to go roof shingles or a metal roof . And which is more durable and lasting ?:)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 04:56 PM
    If I had had the money I would have picked a metal roof, but have heard the snow on it becomes quite dangerous when melting. It cost me $5000 for my new shingle roof last fall. I understand that, depending on the house size, or for a small roof the cost is $30,000. I like the idea of picking your colours and it is guaranteed for a life time and a definite selling feature.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Roofing shingles may last from 15 to 35 years but a good metal roof could go well beyond your lifetime. Get 3 roofing companies to give you estimates for both and then make your decision balancing cost vs life time.
    GAFMASTER Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Asphalt based shingles can last up to 75 years depending on the shingle you choose. The cost compared to metal would be significant. Check out the websites. GAF.com, Certainteed.com etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rocks for roofing [ 2 Answers ]

What type of foliated metamophic rock was once used as roofing matierial?

Roofing job [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for average price to tear off existing metal roof and purlins (1100 sq ft) lay down osb decking and shingle?

IB Roofing (pvc) vs. CertianTeed Roofing [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between these two roofing materials. I am in charge of having a roof replaced for our city council. We have had several contractors come in and give us estimates and its down between these two. Both are at the same cost. This is going on a building with a flat...

Roofing how to? [ 2 Answers ]

We measured a roof but we don't understand how to find the number squares we need to lay the roof or the number of bundles of shingles. We know 10x10 is a square but after measuring how many square is the problem. The roof measures like this; 125 foot long and 5 foot 3inches wide, the dormer is...

Roofing question [ 6 Answers ]

Hello - not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but it's worth a try. We had a hail storm a few months back and, now that the snow is gone, a roofing contractor has finally been able to some inspect the roof. They say it has evidence of hail damage and gave me a quote. ...

View more questions Search