Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmuhr1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Civil summons for credit card debt
    I received a civil summons and have 14 days to respond to the court and lawyers office. I read allot on this site, so I decided to call and see if I could settle. They agreed if I paid $1380 within 30 days on a $1960 debt.. is this fair?. also, now how do I answer the summons?. theres no block to check saying I've settled with the lawyers representing the credit card company, only admitting I owe the money, some of the money, or not at all?? Help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Tell them to send you a letter outling the details of the settlement and acknowledging that they are withdrawing the suit pending completion of the settlement. Send a copy of that letter as your answer to the summons.

The amount sounds fair.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Definitely send something to the clerk of court as an answer before the time limit has tolled. If you don't formally answer the complaint, they can automatically get a judgment against you. Do this even if you have some kind of an agreement with them - just in case they want to ignore your agreement and go for a judgment instead. I've seen this happen where a person thought they had an agreement with the attorney and his staff went to the courthouse and got a judgment. What a hassel that was to sort out. Cover your behind with an answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil summons over credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

We were served a civil summons last night over 7685.00 credit card debt we are not denying the debt what I need to know is can we settle this debt out of court and what is a fair amount to offer and will the lawyer set up payments for us.

Received civil summons for unpaid credit card bills [ 5 Answers ]

I received a civil summons stating that I owed $5220.73 to a Financial service that bought a case from a credit card provider. I do agree that I owe the company money, but I do not agree that I owe this amound.. The credit card max was only $1500. Is the remainder from interest? This was an account...

Civil Action Summons Credit Debt ? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a Letter from my local court, being taken to court basically for money owed to Capital ONe Bank, c/o a attorney. In Philly, PA about 2 to 3 hours away. The amount is for a little over 3000 dollars. My credit report shows it as account closed at credit grantor's requests I have...

Civil Summons for Old Credit Card Debt [ 8 Answers ]

I was just served with a civil warrant over an OLD credit card debt (from college). I have not heard from this creditor in YEARS. I am trying to find the date of last activity on the account, but the original creditor is not showing up on my credit report (only the debt collector). The affadavit...

Civil summons concerning credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a civil summons from a credit card, guess they are suing me.I had been working with a company for over a year to help me out with this... so what are my options... I need help quick, sounds like they are getting ready to eat me alive, or that is the way it seems... :eek:

View more questions Search