Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manojs1234 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 06:58 PM
    F1 to H1B status on the same year
    Hello,

I was on my OPT (F1 Visa) from Jan 07 to Sep07 during which I earned income and on H1B from Oct 07 onwards. I did not paid the FICA taxes during my OPT period. When I tried using software like TaxAct, it does not recognize the change in my visa status and says that I have paid less taxes. Basically it considers me in H1B category from Jan 07 which is not correct. Now I am thinking of doing it manually, but not sure about how to show different visa status in 1040NR form. Can you please help?

Thanks
    Manoj
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 02:36 AM
    If you are single, you will file nonresident tax return. Most software don't do nonresident tax return.
    You will report all the income for 2007. For OPT income, you will claim treaty deduction.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Mar 25, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by manojs1234
    hello,

I was on my OPT (F1 Visa) from Jan 07 to Sep07 during which I earned income and on H1B from Oct 07 onwards. I did not paid the FICA taxes during my OPT period. When I tried using software like TaxAct, it does not recognize the change in my visa status and says that I have paid less taxes. Basically it considers me in H1B category from Jan 07 which is not correct. Now I am thinking of doing it manually, but not sure about how to show different visa status in 1040NR form. Can you please help?

Thanks
    Manoj
    It depends on when you first came to the US. If you are still what is called an exempt individual, then you have not met the SPTdividual, and you will not be resident. In that case you should file a non-resident return for 2007.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 05:21 AM
    Based on the information provided by manojs1234, he is nonresident for 2007.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Mar 25, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    Based on the information provided by manojs1234, he is nonresident for 2007.
    As I pointed out, more information is needed here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chaning status from F1-H1B and maintaining F1 Status. [ 9 Answers ]

I got my H1B approved through a Company and Currently I'M on F1 Visa doing my MS , I have a Gap of 20 days between my F1 and H1B ,please find the details below. By May end I would be completeing my second semester and have to register for 3rd Semester (Fall Semester) by 10th Sept ,2007 ,I'M...

H1B and H4, first year choice, dual-status [ 4 Answers ]

First, let me explain my situation: I am an Spanish citizen and came to US on 27st July 2007 on H1B Visa with my husband (in H4 visa). After that I got my SSN. Yet we have not applied for the ITIN of my husband and he is not eligible for SSN. We do not have Green Card and do not satisfy the...

H1B / H4 , filing status , dual status [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian Citizen who entered US along with my spouse for the first time on 30 March 2007 on H1-B Visa. Since then, I have not changed my visa status to any other visa and I have not travelled outside US. My spouse is on H4 visa. I have the following questions: 1. Am I dual status...

Calendar Year or Fiscal Year for H1b Visa Holders? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I would be going to the US on an H1B, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4). Tax experts could you please answer the following doubts of mine: 1. For individuals on H1B, the only selection of tax year is a calendar tax year, right? 2. If I reach US somewhere on Oct 1 2007, I...

H1B and H4 -- Filing status for year 2007 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I (H1B) am here in the US since 25th Nov 2006 along with my wife (H4). I already file tax return for year 2006 ( filled jointly along with W7 application for my wife to get the TIN for her). Now I am interested in knowing my filing status for year 2007. Filing status mentioned as on my...

View more questions Search