Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rachie Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Mar 24, 2008, 12:24 PM
    GAINING weight while running
    I am so frustrated and confused. I had my first child 1 year ago and gained 30 pounds... I was extremely athletic before my pregnancy (brown belt in martial arts, with heavy cardio workouts and regular strength training plus swimming and running. After my baby, I have desperately been trying to get back down to my pre-baby weight (145 lb, at 5'8)
    I started a running program 3 months ago to shed the last 15 pounds... and I am totally STUCK now at 150. I have tried everything. I upped my running time (I am up to running 60 minutes at least 4-5 times a week, plus strenghth training 3 X weekly, also doing martial arts and walking in between. I can't lose this weight! No matter what I do, I actually gained a few pounds this week, one of my hardest workout weeks ever!
    as for my diet, I don't drink soda (or anything besides water , I even cut out juice) eat all whole grains, mediterainian based diet, no red meat, fish twice a week,. blabla, believe me I know a lot about nutrition so it can't be the way I eat.
    someone told me perhaps I wasn't eating ENOUGH calories, so I started adding a glass of milk here and there, trying to add more snacks like fruit and nuts... and now I am STILL stuck, I actually gained five pounds since this morning! How is that possible??
    so I ask my personal trainer friend, and she says... you guessed it... "you must be eating too MANY calories. " GEEZ people which one is it>??
    does anyone have any suggestions I am about to just quit eating completely.
    :confused:
    kandyfruitcake Posts: 67, Reputation: 18

Mar 24, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachie
    i am so frustrated and confused. i had my first child 1 year ago and gained 30 pounds...i was extremely athletic before my pregnancy (brown belt in martial arts, with heavy cardio workouts and regular strenght training plus swimming and running. after my baby, i have desperately been trying to get back down to my pre-baby weight (145 lb, at 5'8)
    i started a running program 3 months ago to shed the last 15 pounds...and i am totally STUCK now at 150. i have tried everything. i upped my running time (i am up to running 60 minutes at least 4-5 times a week, plus strenghth training 3 X weekly, also doing martial arts and walking in between. i can't lose this weight! no matter what i do, i actually gained a few pounds this week, one of my hardest workout weeks ever!
    as for my diet, i dont drink soda (or anything besides water , i even cut out juice) eat all whole grains, mediterainian based diet, no red meat, fish twice a week,....blabla, believe me i know alot about nutrition so it can't be the way i eat.
    someone told me perhaps i wasnt eating ENOUGH calories, so i started adding a glass of milk here and there, trying to add more snacks like fruit and nuts...and now i am STILL stuck, i actually gained five pounds scince this morning! how is that possible????
    so i ask my personal trainer friend, and she says...you guessed it..."you must be eating too MANY calories. " GEEZ people which one is it>??!
    does anyone have any suggestions i am about to just quit eating completely.
    :confused:
    Fruit has a high natural sugar content, and nuts are high calories - check out the back of the packets and you'll be appalled:(

Forget the scales, have you used a tape measure? That weight could be muscle, which is heavier than fat, did your personal trainer tell you that? Your weight for your height sounds fine to me, and I know you said you're drinking water, but is it two litres a day?
    rachie Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Mar 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
    I was more fit before my first child, and weighed LESS ,so the muscle weighs more than fat thing doesn't make me feel any better... sorry:)...
    But so you think my problem is I'm probably eating too many calories?
    kandyfruitcake Posts: 67, Reputation: 18

Mar 24, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachie
    i was more fit before my first child, and weighed LESS ,so the muscle weighs more than fat thing doesnt make me feel any better...sorry:)...
    but so you think my problem is im probably eating too many calories??
    No I don't, but you've had a baby and even if it looks the same on the outside, it's had internal changes through hormones. How old are you? My weight went straight back down with my first child but the later children - nope. Stress can also make you gain weight because it causes your body to store water. Have you measured yourself with a tape measure as well as used the scales?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gaining Weight [ 6 Answers ]

I am very thin of 50 Kgs. My height is 6 inches. I eat a lot of food but I am not gaining weight? How I can become fat equal to my height

Gaining weight [ 6 Answers ]

What is a good way to gain weight. I took that BMI test and I'm under by like 5 pounds maybe more. Im tall so I look skinny. I try to eat 3 meals a day and I hear potatoes slow down your metabolism which I try to eat more of. What else can I do? Im active so I burn a lot of calories doing sports...

Gaining weight? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get me pitbull to gain weight?

Why am I not gaining weight [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been lifting weights for about two month now eating good healthy food, and taking protein shakes at least three times a day. The problem is I am not gaining weight I am in fact losing weight. Why? I am lifting three days a week for at least an hour a day if not longer, but I am not...

View more questions Search