Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandeepg Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 09:31 AM
    F-1 Tax regarding Hope Tax credit, Moving expenses
    Hi,

I was student on F1 (Indian Citizenship) during whole of year 2007. I also paid my tuition fees amounting to ~4000 dollars. Do I qualify for the tax credit ? I have looked up on the internet and haven't found IRS publications regarding my eligibility. From what I got to know from other sites is that I am not eligible since I was on visa. Whereas some other sites say that If I do not claim the standard deduction I can file itemized deductions.

I also did an internship in CA during the summer and paid moving expenses, can I deduct them ? Also since I had to rent an apartment there (quite costly) can I deduct the rent, as moving expenses ?

I bought Deluxe version of TurboTax, but that was of no help since it does not supports 1040 NREZ. Any opinions on a tax software which is able to handle 1040NREZ ?

Does anyone knows how much will H&R Block will charge for preparing my return ?

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 10:50 AM
    On F1 visa you are nonresident. You can claim tuition fee deduction or Education credit.

For moving expenses, you must work for the job for minimum 39 weeks in the year after you move. So for summer job, you can't deduct moving expenses.

Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Moving Expenses
    sandeepg Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    On F1 visa you are nonresident. You can claim tuition fee deduction or Education credit.

For moving expenses, you must work for the job for minimum 39 weeks in the year after you move. So for summer job, you can't deduct moving expenses.

Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Moving Expenses
    Hi, can you please point me to IRS publication regarding this. UT website < faq , question 10> specifically says no to Tax credit.
    I would very much like to get the credit since it reduces my Tax drastically :)

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deadlines for Income Tax Return amendments - Hope Credit [ 2 Answers ]

I just finished filing a 2007 income tax return for my husband and myself. My husband was in his 2nd year of college during 2007, and we were able to take advantage of the Hope Credit. I looked through my husband's 2006 tax return (we were not married in 2006), and he did not claim the Hope...

First US tax return & Child Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am working in US since Nov25' 2007. My wife & my kid is in India. They have never been to US. I am planning to file my FIRST US tax return for 2007 for the period Nov25 - Dec31st'2007. My Q's are: 1. Can I file my return in form 1040? I am planning to stay in US for more than 183...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

Confusion over Child tax credit with ITIN applied along with Tax returns for 1st time [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Bala and I came to US last year April 2006 with my family. I came to US with H1B visa and my spouse and kid has H4. I am aware of the fact that I can claim Child tax credit if I have ITIN for my child. But since there is change is process that we can't apply for ITIN separately and...

View more questions Search