Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carysue Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Two lights and a (outlet continuous)
    How do I hook up two lights and a outlet? The power goes into the light box. The wire is 14/2 the switch is single pole and the power to the outlet needs to be continuous. The lights are in the basement keyless plastic lamp holder

Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Connect from light to light, then down to switch box, run wire from switch to receptacle, and keyless light(pullchain). Connect all whites together, connect all blacks(except black wire to light)together along with 6" black wire(pigtail)
    The Pigtail(hot) and black wire need to connect to switch.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 08:55 AM
    I assume that you already have a light and a switch. From the first light run 14/2 cable to outlet. Connect black to hot which should already be connected to switch. Connect white to white. Run 14/2 cable to 2nd light location. Connect white to whites, connect the black to the black coming back from switch. When wiring switch some people use white to go to the switch and the black to come back. Some use the black to go and the white to come back. Connect the black to the same wire from the switch that the existing light is connected to.

Mar 24, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by carysue
    how do i hook up two lights and a outlet? the power goes into the light box. the wire is 14/2 the switch is single pole and the power to the outlet needs to be continuous. the lights are in the basement keyless plastic lamp holder

Thanks
    None of the answers from the Similar Questions helped

Thanks

Mar 24, 2008, 10:42 AM
    I am starting from scratch. I have power into the light box, I have a 14/2 wire in place from the light box to the switch box attached to the snigle pole switch, black on the bottom white on the top. I know that the white is hot. I have the white from the single pole switch with my power in the light box. I have a pigtile from my power to the light fixture (Brase). I a 14/2 ran to the other light and it is hooked to the end light fixture. I aldo have a 14/2 going into the main light fixture tide into the power. That is as fare as I have gone. Can you help with the rest?
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 11:27 AM
    The BLACK is HOT and NOT the white. Wire like my first post.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Carysue,

Back up and lets start from the feeder wire in the ceiling. First, turn the power to the circuit off at the main panel, there's no reason to make this a shocking task.

You need to start with a pigtail at the ceilng site. The Black/White pair that go to the switch from the ceiling is the "Switch Loop". The White from the switch back to the ceiling should have Black or Red tape around the white insulation to signify that this particular white wire is Hot not Neutral.

On the supply ceiling wire connect the supply black, to the switch black, add the black lead going to the outlet. Check the White coming back from switch one. Does it have a small band of black or red tape around it? If it does not, put black or red tape around the white insulation. This to mark this wire as hot.

This white wire connects to the black wire in the light fixture. If you are using a second light also, you will need to run another 14/2 line from the first light to the second. At the first light, make a pigtail out of the Banded White wire from the switch, the black from the first fixture and the black from the runner to the second light. At the second light, connect black to black,
    White to White, bare ground, to bare ground.

Back at the first light pigtail together the White from the feeder wire in the ceiling and the white from the first light and the White from the runner to the second light and the White from the outlet. Connect all bare wires together.

String your 14/2 to where you want the receptacle outlet. Install the device box, connect the black and white wires to the receptacle. Connect the ground wire to the ground screw on the receptacle. Install the receptacle with the ground hole of the receptacle facing up.

Leaving the light switch off, turn the power for this circuit on at the main panel. The switch should now provide supply for both lights.

Test the outlet by plugging a lamp into the new receptacle. With the switch for the ceiling light in the off position, the light should function. The light should also function with the switch in the On position.

I would suggest that you sketch the circuit I described before you jump in and play with the wires.

Clear as mud? Please let me know if you need additional help.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Strat,

Doesn't you way require 3-wire cable to switch? Perhaps I am misunderstanding you post. The way read Carysue's post , she wants two ceiling fixtures, one switch and one outlet and wants to feed the ceiling fixture. To avoid any 3-wire situations she must take the outlet off the first light fixture.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 05:32 PM
    HK, Power could run any direction from downstairs light to receptacle, to switch box then to the 2 lights, Whatever the arrangement is, all whites go together, the lights switch leg is black, the hot is pigtailed from any of the blacks, I REALLY didn't want to explain switch loop and white wire becoming live, It would be easier to not deal with the white switch loop and just run light wires to switch box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric outlet will only work with lights on [ 6 Answers ]

I have two electric outlets in bathrooms that only work when the light switch is on. The master bedroom bath electric outlets work when the light switch is off. What can I do to get the electric outlets to work when the light switch is off? I have a little knowledge in dealing with electricity.

Replacing bathroom outlet for fan and lights [ 3 Answers ]

The double switch outlet in my bathroom went out. One switch controlled the fan and the other the lights (one on the ceiling and three on the wall). I went to Menards and bought a new double switch outlet for the wall. I thought it was going to be EASY - take the old one out and hook the new one...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Lights not working after moving electrical outlet [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I got a wall mount TV for which I wanted to create an electrical outlet and a cable outlet behind the TV so the wires are concealed. The OLD outlets are about 4 feet below the TV. I took out the existing electrical outlet box and undid the wires coming into it (2 BLK, 2 WHT, 1 ground)...

How to replace a switched outlet with recessed lights [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my basement. When I pulled out my drop ceiling I found that my overhead fluorescent lights were plugged into an outlet controlled by a light switch. I want to replace the fluorescent lights with 4 recessed lights. What is the proper way to wire this setup? Thanks for the help!...

View more questions Search