Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsHec4 Posts: 118, Reputation: 4

Mar 23, 2008, 06:39 PM
    I think my dog may be hurt
    When my dog runs sometimes he picks up his back left leg and carries it and hops on the other three. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he doesn't have any trouble walking on it. He only does it when he runs. Could he have been injured and I didn't notice or is there any possibility that it could be something serious?
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Mar 23, 2008, 06:43 PM
    I would take your dog to the vet as soon as possible. If he doesn't put any pressure on one of his legs, that means it is hurting him. There is a possibility that it could be serious.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Mar 23, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Hello,

If your dog walks and trots on this leg just fine, then it isn't an emergency. You didn't say how old your dog is, or what breed. If he's an older dog it could be that he is developing arthritis in this leg. When he "runs" he goes into a gait where each stride starts with one of the hind legs landing first. The extra weight of all his body on that one leg could make the joint too sore, so he just runs with that leg in the air for a while to let that leg rest.

It would be best to have a vet take a look. The vet might prescribe some rest for healing, or may say it's chronic damage and it's better for the dog to have exercise than to be kept quiet. The vet may also give you some medications to help your dog.

Jc

Mar 23, 2008, 07:51 PM
    My dog is a 3 year old yorkie he went to the vet last month but that was before I noticed it so I didn't get the chance to talk to the vet about it. I'm taking him to get his teeth cleaned hopefully in a few weeks so I'll talk to the vet about it then

Mar 23, 2008, 08:34 PM
    A few weeks? What if it is very bad and your dog has to suffer until you finally go to the vet. The problem could get even worse then it is already.

Mar 23, 2008, 08:59 PM
    If the problem gets any worse - i.e. your dog starts to show signs of pain in this leg when standing, walking, or trotting then your dog should see a vet right away. But if the only time your dog shows signs of favoring this leg is occasionally when he runs it's OK to wait a few weeks to see the vet. In my opinion he can't be "suffering" if he shows no signs of favoring the leg except occasionally when running.

You could call the vet tomorrow to make/confirm your appointment to have his teeth cleaned, and ask that they make a note in his file to ask about and check this leg when you take him in for the teeth cleaning. That way you won't have to worry that you might forget to mention it.

Mar 23, 2008, 09:14 PM
    jcdill, the dog is still in pain. Does it matter if he only shows the signs of pain when he runs? And a dog usually runs everyday, and mrshec4, if your dog is not as active take it to the vet. Nothing negative is going to happen if you take him to the vet early. I am just worried about your dog because mine had a similar problem. I took my dog to the vet the next day and he was able to receive the proper treatment before his condition got worse.

Mar 23, 2008, 09:36 PM
    happy711, it would be nice if you could share what similar problem your dog had, and what the diagnosis and treatment was, and why it was good that you took your dog in right away. Then we could see how similar your dog's condition is to this dog's condition.

A dog that appears perfectly healthy could have some hidden condition lurking. Does that mean we should take every dog to the vet every month for a complete physical exam, x-rays, blood tests, etc. to try to find a possible hidden condition before it "gets worse"? Obviously that doesn't make sense.

Over the years I've know a lot of dogs that occasionally run on 3 legs. I've heard many vets say "there's nothing I can do" for this type of problem. I have never once heard a vet say "you should have brought this dog in immediately". If the dog shows no signs of soreness at the walk and trot, the problem is NOT an emergency.

This weekend many vets are quite busy trying to save dogs that ate easter chocolate. Those dogs are seriously sick - unfortunately some of them will die. On another site where I answer questions we have had 25 questions about dogs getting into chocolate today. :-(

jc

Mar 23, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Well I am very sorry about the dogs that have eaten the chocolate and have gotten sick. I am not being sarcastic if it sounds that way and I do care.
    With my dog, it was not using one of its back leg. This happened about a year ago, so I do not remember what exactly happened. But, the doctor gave him some medicine and his leg was better. It was good that I took him in right away because he could have injured it even more then he did already by falling, slipping.. etc.
    Also, the condition is not hidden. If mrshec4 didn't think there was a brought with his/her dog, then he/she wouldn't have posted a question about it.

Mar 24, 2008, 01:02 PM
    OK well the reason I'm not so gung ho to take him to the vet every time he has a minor problem is because I don't have money to pay the outrageous vet fees. Also I hate when I think it's serious and I pay a $50 vet bill or $250 for emergency care and they tell me there's nothing wrong or nothing they can do! It's a waste of money and time. I'm sure if my dog was in serious pain he wouldn't even walk on the leg at all or he would be more vocal about his pain. (whining, howling, yelping) Thanks for the advice. I'm going to wait the few weeks to see the vet. I posted on here to see if anyone had any similar experiences and could maybe give me an idea of what could be wrong. I don't have to have someone tell me to "take him to the vet b/c it could be serious" that's a given. Thank you anyway.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Take a look at his feet, there could be something stuck between the pads. My dog had a piece of glass stuck in his paw once, he only favored the leg when he ran because that's when more pressure was put on the paw and therefore on the glass. If there is something stuck in the paw then determine whether you can remove it safely, make sure to sterilize it after and maybe put a sock on the foot and tape it securely onto the paw for a day or two.

It could also be a muscle spasm, that is also quite common.

Do get the vet to check him over when he goes for his next visit. Go to the vet immediately if the condition worsens ie: he limps even when walking or wines or yelps when pressure is put on that foot.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mar 24, 2008, 01:49 PM
    I agree with Altenweg, do take a look at your dog's feet. My dogs nail was coming off, and it hurt for him to put pressure on it until we cut his nail.

If you feel that going to the vet isn't necessary right away, then you a probably right. I can not see the dog myself but do what ever you feel is right.
    Good luck to your pup.

Mar 25, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Well I checked his feet and didn't find anything but I'm sure if there was something stuck in the paw, the groomer would've seen it when she clipped his nails and hair. Thanks for the advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Neglected dog. My neighbor leaves her dog locked in a cage all day while she is at [ 5 Answers ]

Work, then comes home lets the dog out and locks the dog right back up again in her cage and she proceeds to go out until all hours of the night. I hear the dog moving around in the cage. I don't understand why she even has a dog, she doesn't spend any time with it. Besides dogs not being...

Good dog gone bad - dog going potty in house. [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old boxer/american bulldog mix. He was trained to go potty outside since we've had him (we got him when he was 2 months old) and he's been pretty good at going, with only the occasional accidents, mostly when he was younger. Lately, though, he's been going to the bathroom in the...

My dog hurt his leg [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what type of over the counter medicines I can give my dog for inflammation.

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search