Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janice33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Concerned about three-year-old grandson
    I am quite concerned about my three-year-old grandson. He does not speak very well. I cannot understand a lot of what he says. He repeats certain phrases constantly, such as what color do you like or what shape do you like (can be said 20 to 30 times in a row). He does not understand a lot that is said to him and fairly often tends to repeat it. For instance, if you say "Do you like to play, Michael", instead of saying yes or no, he will repeat it word for word ("Do you like to play, Michael"). He likes to sort items according to color or shape or place items in rows or lines. He plays fairly well with other children but does not make a lot of eye contact. When visiting, he will play with his uncle and sister but tends to copy a lot of what they do. There are other things too.

He goes to a Mommy and Me Class and seems to enjoy it. To be honest, I am concerned about autism or some learning disability. I have spoken to my daughter about taking him for testing but she does not seem too willing to acknowledge that there might be a problem. I have to be careful about approaching her because she generally does not react too well. I don't know if she is unwilling to admit that there might be a problem or is in denial. She has finally agreed to take him to our local school to be tested for a learning disability but is not moving very quickly on it. What can I do? I am very upset about this.

Could someone give me an opinion. Thank you
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 11:46 PM
    Honestly, it sounds like autism to me, repetitive speech, unusual habits, lack of eye contact, and speech that seems underdeveloped for the child's age are all symptoms of autism... She should have him tested right away. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 child 1 grandson [ 1 Answers ]

My son and his grilfriend will not let me see my grandson she is using that baby on the family and so is he I am bipolar raised my son on my own we were so thight this gril calls me a frick and ever thing else my son lets this go on she is killing my sons health he looks so bad she sits at home and...

7 year old grandson [ 5 Answers ]

Our 7 year old grandson is having problems remembering even the smallest of things. I tell him to go upstairs and get his shoes, by the time he's to the top of the stairs , he forgets and will cry. I had him in catholic kindergarten last year and the teacher called time after time and wanted us...

Grandmother bathing with an almost 3 year old Grandson? [ 15 Answers ]

My stepdaughter told me that her almost 3 year old son is bathing with his other Grandmother. Is this normal or an OK thing to do? I told my stepdaughter that I think it is a form of child abuse. Am I right?

Evict Grandson [ 1 Answers ]

How can my mother evict her abusive, non -paying grandson from her home?

My Grandson [ 7 Answers ]

My precious little grandson does the weirdest thing once in a while. To explain a little when he was born he was breech, he never crawled, he sat straight up and hopped. He had months of therepy and started walking very late. At about age two he started with these little twitches, his legs go...

View more questions Search