Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harishwadhwani Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 03:15 PM
    How do I stop leakage from shower drain after freplacing a rubber gasket?
    How do I stop leakage from FIAT make shower drain attached to a 23-year old tiled shower after replacing a FIAT rubber gasket in the shower drain?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 21, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Hmmm... any chance you could post a picture here? Fiat drains are not usually connected with tiled showers.. Unless you have a pre-molded shower floor... is this the case? What rubber gasket did you replace? The donut shapped rubber seal at drain in shower OR at drain under shower? Let me know.
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Exactly.. need to know if the BASE of your shower is made with mud/tiles or is plastic.

For me, my shower was plastic base. The drain sealing system in a plastic base shower goes like this.

From on TOP of the base, you put a bead of silicon and the plastic grill.

From BELOW the base you put the rubber gasket, then an "anti-friction" gasket (i.e. a thin piece of cardboard like a cereal box cut in the shape of a gasket same dimensions or a little bigger than the rubber basket) and then the last thing is the screw on nut.

Here is the thread where I learned this the hard way...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/how-not-install-shower-drain-34307.html

Knucklez
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 21, 2008, 07:45 PM
    We won't get too far until Harish answers Mark's questions. He replaced the gasket because he already had a leak and still hgas a leak. Never know but just maybe he replaced the wrong parts.

Mar 24, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Hmmm... any chance you could post a picture here? Fiat drains are not usually connected with tiled showers...? Unless you have a pre-molded shower floor....is this the case?? What rubber gasket did you replace?? The donut shapped rubber seal at drain in shower OR at drain under shower?? Let me know.
    I don't know how to post a picture. The shower floor (base) is pre-molded. The rubber gasket I replaced was donut shaped --at drain (... PFA... DO... BOCA... UPC... 3"ODx2 1/4" IDx1 1/4" H) with FIAT PRODUCTS QUI-2 (3" OD x 2 1/4" ID x 1" H). The old gasket is like new on the inside (touching the 2" PVC pipe) and about 1/2 " H hardened on the outside (touching the metallic drain assembly) with salts from hard water. So, I suspect there is no leakage between the gasket and PVC pipe but there is leakage between the outside of the gasket and the drain,i.e. from the junction of the drain assembly and the PVC pipe... Any help will be appreciated
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Harishwadhwani:

I got to figure that you need to remove the donut shaped rubber ring, clean the space between the pipe and the drain real good with screwdriver and rag. Get down into space deep... clean well. Do not be afraid to use a little rubbing alcohol at end to evaporate any remaining moisture and give final cleaning/drying to plastic.

Then install the donut again.. or just get yourself a new donut (never know this one could be defective... maybe? ) and install into drain as instructed.

These are not tough to install... this may just be a fluke type deal.. ok?

Re-install old/new rubber and then tighten using tool they provided you... or just tamp in place (depends on version you have).

See from there. If that fails I have one or two more ideas.. BUT THIS SHOULD FIX YOU UP... let us know... Mark

Mar 28, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Mark:

You are right. I went and returned the rubber gasket I bought earlier and purchased a better gasket from a helpful sales person at the same store. I cleaned the drain real good and using regular liquid detergent as lubricant inserted the gasket in the drain. It took a little effort to fully 'seat' the gasket in place. I used the old gasket and a mallet to push the new gasket in place.

It works... I see no leakage from the drain... Thanks a bunch. Harish
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Good for you Harish.. glad we could help over here. You drop on back and share some of your particular expertise in the future.. ok? We can always use thoughtful people online here. Goodnight... Mark
    handles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2015, 10:25 AM
    Hello,
    I have the same problem. I replaced the gasket also but don't know if it is the correct one. Can you tell me the what the replacement was.
    Thanks,
    Linda
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 16, 2015, 08:52 AM
    Linda, when we work on shower pans and feel like drain gasket needs to be replaced - we replace entire drain head. Drain head comes with its own gasket. Otherwise it is very hard to guess what type of gasket was used some 20 years ago when the original drain was installed. New drains are inexpensive and depending what type of shower pan you have, they may cost under $20.00.

Hope that helps

Milo
    Johnnybeltway Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2016, 10:27 AM
    All I have the same problem. I hope you guys are still getting alerts on this post. I am having a really hard time getting the gasket out. Any advice on how to get it out/=? I may just have to use a drill and a saw etc. Perhaps Harish, you could provide me guidance?
    Thanks,
    John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 28, 2016, 07:09 PM
    JohnyBeltway: This is 8 years old post. Please, start your new thread. Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop water leakage from a Bryant Gas Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

My Bryant Plus 90 gas furnace has water leaking from one of the pipes that is clamped tight . It is connected to the exterior. Is there any reason why would there be water in the pipe? If so, how do we stop the water from flowing into the furnace? Thank you for reading and would appreciate...

Missing rubber gasket in neo-angle shower... question... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a neo-angle shower from american shower & bath co. that we installed about 6 yrs. Ago. The clear rubber gasket for the bottom of the shower door was missing from the box, but since we hardly ever even used the shower in that bathroom, I never remembered to call and check with...

Shower Drain Gasket replacement [ 11 Answers ]

How do I get to the gasket in a stand up shower to replace the gasket? I am using a pair of channel lock pliers, handles down the drain and turning... I don't seem to be making any progress other than tearing the grips of the handles of my pliers. Any suggestions? :confused:

Shower leakage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a stand up shower. Water leaks from the bottom. I know now that the door is slightly shorter and leaves a crack between the end of the door and the floor... I want to know what would be the best practical thing to do to prevent water from invading my bathroom.

View more questions Search