Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sursi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 02:08 PM
    H1 filing taxes for first time(wife and kid on H4)
    Hi,

I came to US in April'07 on H1B and started working since May'07. My wife and kid came in August'07. I am confused as to whether 183 day rule applies to them or is it fine as long as they are physically present in US by Dec 31 for tax filing purposes?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Sursi
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Sursi:

You can file jointly with your wife and you both CHOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $10,700 joint standard deduction plus two $3,400 personal exemption (for yourself and your wife) plus one $3,400 for your child PLUS the $1,000 Child Tax Credit.

The downside is that you must declare ALL 2007 world-wide income. There are two offsets available, by either claiming a Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or a Foreign Income Exclusion (Form 2555).

Even with the downside, this is probably the best way for you to file

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing taxes, I have a non us citizen wife. [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I am a US citizen. I got married on 11/2007. She is still in india (has not been in US) and probably will be there for a few more months (finishing her Post doctoral work) and I have started her paperwork to bring her to US. These are my questions: 1) From reading this site - it is...

Filing taxes when I am on H1 and my wife is on H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on an H1 since 2003 and I got married in August '06. My wife came here on Oct 5th. I read through the instructions and concluded that we can file jointly (even though she doesn't meet the substantial presence test) for 2006. When I filled the 1040, I realised that I owe $5000 after...

Filing Tax First Time for myself (H1B) and my Wife(H4) [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I was in Seattle, WA from Mar 2006 to Nov 2006 on H1B. My Wife was with me from Apr 2006 to Nov 2006 on H4. I had mentioned M2 as the FWT. I am back to my native country from Nov 2006. I have the following queries regarding filing the tax. Kindly clarify my queries. 1. Am I a resident...

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tax Experts, I am married and entered into USA on April 2006. My wife joined me in June 2006. I want to file my Tax for the time I was in USA? 1. Do I need to file ITIN for my wife first? Or I can do it when I am filing for my Tax? 2. Do I have to file as dual-status return for both of us?...

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 1 Answers ]

In one of your previous replies you had said that for filing taxes with person with H1 and wife with H4. "Yes, she will need an ITIN. Download a W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have you wife sign it and attach a notarized copy of her passport to the W-7. Attach both to your joint tax return...

View more questions Search