Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leoeua7 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Previous years!
    Hello,

I came to the U.S. in 2005 under F-1, and since then I have file neither a 1040NR nor 8843 forms. So, I am really desperate to know if I should file for the previous years or not, once I started my OPT already. I started my OPT in January, and I am currently employed in two jobs.
    One of my employers will not exempt from FICA or MEDICARE, and the other one has not answer me yet.
    While filling out the W-4 form, I claimed myself so the employer, that will not exempt me, would deduct less taxes. They said that at the end of January of 2009, they will send me a form, so I can get a refund.
    My problem now is, I don't know if it was a smart move to claim myself. And, How can I file my previous 1040NR and 8843 forms, so next year I won't be so screwed up!
    Please help me!

Thank you for your help.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 05:53 AM
    If you did not have any income in 2005, 2006 and 2007, then you don't file the tax returns for these years. You are still required to file Form 8843 even without tax return.
    Your income on OPT is not subject to FICA taxes. You should write email to the employer to inform that F1 students are exempt for 5 years.
    leoeua7 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Okay, so I just have to file the taxes for the years that I had income and so on.
    Can I use the same form for 2007 to file for previous years?

Thank you so much, for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Previous years w2's [ 1 Answers ]

Can I view a copy of my 2005 W2 online for free?

Consequences of incorrect assessment of residency status for previous tax years? [ 5 Answers ]

I entered the US in 1993 on an L-1 visa and became a resident alien (greencard holder) in 1996. In 2003 I left the US and established residence in my home country, Germany. I continued to have income from US sources and therefore filed annual US federal tax returns using form 1040. My green card...

Filing taxes from previous years [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew (single and over 21) did not file taxes for the years 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005 and now 2006. He did not make over $5000 for any given year. He has now been told that he needs to file for these yrs. What forms does he need to do this? Can he use the tax forms for this year or does he need...

Amortizing Sales Commissions from previous years [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a small company in sales and I am paid a base and commission. In 2004, I was only paid commissions for only the commissions I earned in first half of the year. I was not paid any commissions in 2005. The company -- like most small companies -- was running on a wing and a prayer, but we...

Can I file my previous years form 8843 now [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question, I was a foreign student in US till 2003. I filled my first tax return in year 2001 because I had an income at that time. After that assuming I don't have to file because I didn't have an income in year 2002 and 2003 I did not file any return nor I filled the form 8843....

View more questions Search