Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taxash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
    F1 to H1B Social security and Medicare Taxes
    I am from India. My visa status changed from F1(OPT) to H1B on Oct 1 2007. It took me some time to realize that I need to start paying my Social Security/Medicare taxes. So I started paying these taxes starting from Mid Nov 2007. My W2 only highlights the wages of Nov and Dec 2007 as the wages on which Social Security and Medicare are withheld. So my problem is that for the month of Oct and part Nov my social security and medicare tax was not withheld even though I was eligible to pay those. My question is do I need to report those in my tax returns and also how I can do that? I went through the Form 8919 but I am not sure whether that was applicable to me. Please advise. Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2008, 09:56 AM
    You do NOT report the Social Security and Medicare tax shortfall on your annual tax return. Form 8919 is NOT for your situation.

Notify your employer of the error, and let HIM fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1B Transition: Social Security and Medicare [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a non-resident alien. I started to work for an US company on Sept 22nd, 2005 after I had graduated from a US college with an F1 visa. Initially I was on OPT. On Dec 26th, 2005, my employer applied for an H1B visa. The H1B application process took several months and it was approved on...

Social Security & Medicare for H1b Employee [ 1 Answers ]

I have not withheld SS & Medicare taxes for my H1b employee. (My company paid for his H1b, so we were aware of the status change.) Am I liable for both employer and employee portions of the past tax or can I collect the employee's portion from him?

Social Security and MediCare for H1B Workers Departing the you.S. [ 1 Answers ]

I remember hearing at some point that workers in the U.S. who are working on a H1B Visa and who will leave the use when the H1B expires can reclaim social security and medicare taxes back. Does anyone know if this is true or false?

H1B claim for social security and medicare [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, I read that when you are in OPT status, you can claim for social security and medicare. Once you are in H1B status you are liable for those. But I heard people saying that during the period of your H1B (max 6 years) you can claim your social security and medicare max 2 times...

F1- H1B Social Security and Medicare refund [ 4 Answers ]

I read through some the posts, I was working on OPT (F1 Visa) from Jan - Oct 2005 and was on H1-B from Oct 1, 2005 onwards. It seems since I did not complete 183 days on H1-B I still qualify as a non resident and should File 1040NR or 1040NREZ with the standard deductions (from India). Am I also...

View more questions Search