Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

May 1, 2008, 05:32 AM
    [[/ATTACHATTACH]8206]This is a drawing of my great grandfather and one rather cheeky Samoyed.  The photo was my reference for 'PJ'.
    Attached Images

startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 07:56 AM
    They are both wonderful. Love them! You do great work, thank you for sharing!!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar
    [[/ATTACHATTACH]8206]This is a drawing of my great grandfather and one rather cheeky Samoyed.  The photo was my reference for 'PJ'.
    I love your work Moparb! You really did an amazing job. Are these both pencil or charcoal pencil? Also, what paper did you work on to have the color on your great grandfatehr? That made for interesting viewing! He is a very nice looking man and the dog is a sweetie!
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

May 6, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Thanks Jrebel and others for nice comments. I actually use Fabriano paper which is white (I had my camera set wrong and it didn't compensate for the tungsten light)... should have used a sepia coloured paper though huh, does suit the era of the photo right?:D
    They are both pencil as I'm still not too comfortable with charcoal yet. I find it more difficult to use than pencil. Is there anyone out there who has some charcoal art to share?
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar
    Thanks Jrebel and others for nice comments. I actually use Fabriano paper which is white (I had my camera set wrong and it didn't compensate for the tungsten light)...should have used a sepia coloured paper though huh, does suit the era of the photo right?:D
    They are both pencil as I'm still not too comfortable with charcoal yet. I find it more difficult to use than pencil. Is there anyone out there who has some charcoal art to share?
    I am still enthralled with the drawing of your great grandfather. The eyes follow the viewer, you have a soft touch which I do not possess but so enjoy viewing work of those who do. I haven't worked in charcoal since college years. My main medium is pencil, Design Ebony Jet Black #14420 and #6325.

Is Fabriano paper a watercolor paper for watercolor, charcoal and pencil? Wondering if that is just a brand name? I loved the sepia look. I just assumed the paper was sepia in color. It really has such a nice mood to it, viewing it in sepia. Sepia always warms up a drawing.

Please post more of your work. :p
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

May 7, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Wow... thanks for bringing the artist in you thread back firm :)
    It was such a loss to me when the old one closed :s
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Cal, have you seen the one with all the art work itemized? Let me find it for you...

EDIT;;;;;;;
    Here it is sweet thing... https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/art/ar...st-199144.html

May 8, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Yeah I have seen clough's one :)
    Isn't it awesome? Must have taken him ages.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Yes it is, I like the fact that I can go and look at things I may have missed, or that I like the best you know?

May 11, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Yeah I get you :)
    Hmmm I miss all you people so much, we don't get to talk enough. Recently finished my fabrics art project, will take some photos, even though it isn't as good as I would have liked. We are starting a new project called "Any given day" which is to be a multi media on multiple canvasses and has to be about ourselves :)
    maiwest Posts: 18, Reputation: 5

May 12, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Art is very general.. There's an artist in me but in a totally different genre. I wonder if it's wise to upload music here... :D
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 05:36 PM
    maiwest, is this music of your own creation?

May 13, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Music is the most beautiful thing form of art in my opinion, if you do make music, we would love to hear it maewest :)
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    music is the most beautiful thing form of art in my opinion, if you do make music, we would love to hear it maewest :)
    Hey there Cal! I am anxiously waiting to see more of your art work!!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maiwest
    Art is very general.. There's an artist in me but in a totally different genre. I wonder if it's wise to upload music here.... :D
    I totally agree! :) Art is something that encompasses a number of areas or genres, if you will - music, drama, crafts, theater, dance, visual and performing arts of various kinds, etc. My main art is music, but I also do art in a number of other areas and genres...

As such, you might want to wait to post something that is audible until I start a central artist thread for artists of all types. That "tree" could then have many "branches..." Then, woven together...

But, at the same time, that does not preclude you posting something audible on a thread such as this. Artwork of any kind, as far as I am concerned, could be posted on multiple threads. That way, that Art topic area could be the most complete and very much like an art encyclopedia, indexed, referenced, etc. for years to come!

I too, would appreciate knowing if what you have is that which you have created yourself.

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    music is the most beautiful thing form of art in my opinion, if you do make music, we would love to hear it maewest :)
    This is interesting, Sean. I would appreciate you sharing with us as to why you think that "music is the most beautiful thing form of art..." It's interesting to me, that you have that perspective, because you are someone who works so much producing those things that are in the visual arts. Please do share.

I too, do miss the intimacy of sharing of our arts like we used to do! :)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Dear musicians,
    I wrote this because so many times when I have been going about my day, walking my dogs, driving down a street or going in a shop. I hear the music of someone and think how beautiful. I stop and savior it for a moment, usually never knowing where it comes from. Maybe to you the musician you are just practicing, passing time or performing. Know this, even if just, for a small fleeting moment you helped someone have a nicer day.

Unseen
    I may not know where you are,
    Invisible, coming to me through the thin air.
    The gentle, rhythmic sound of your voice,
    Lulling me peacefully as I go about my day.

I hear you, unseen

I hear your instruments
    In perfect tune and harmony.
    Maybe you are a star, a singer in a bar,
    The girl down the street, or a member in a choir
    I hear you, unseen

I don't know who you are ,to me it matters not, as I go about my day.
    In my yard, pulling weeds, planting flowers or
    Sitting on my porch rocking back forth.

I hear you, unseen

When I throw open my windows on a warm breezy day,
    To clean my house and chase the gloom away.

I hear you, unseen.

Driving down the street at a stop sign,
    The strains of music coming from somewhere.

I hear you, unseen

To you your just practicing or getting ready for a show,
    But the joy you are giving me, you probably will never know.
    We may have seen each other or not,
    I may never attend your show or meet you.

But as I hear you, unseen.
    I thank you, unheard.
    Geri
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2008, 08:08 AM
    bushg, wow!! That was great. You said everything... even thank you.
    I loved it! Now I can thank you;)

May 14, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Clough, in answer to your question, music has always touched me and influenced me far more than visual arts. It is what I cry to, and it is always playing, as I rest, while I do art, when I am on a computer, while I read, etc, I cannot live without music, music just to me expresses so much more and touches so much deeper into the soul than visual art, I could live without my eyes, without any sense, except my hearing, without music, I would wither and die. One of my greatest regrets in life is that I have never had a voice or a talent for singing. I am currently learning to play guitar, and I want to learn piano, because I cry whenever I hear sad piano being played.
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 11:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bedell
    As a performing musician in Greenville, SC, I want you to know that what you wrote here means more to me than I can express. It's everything I ever wanted someone to stop and say to me, wether sitting on my steps picking acoustic or playing a show downtown.
    Thank you so much.
    More people feel this way (the way Cal expressed so eloquently) than you know. We express a lot of times on this site, the visual arts we are involved in and we are able to put an image on the site that one can view but perhaps do not include the other types of art often enough although a few of us have tried to have the art threads to be all inclusive of all forms of art. It is good to also have threads that are subject or art specific to address questions in more detail but having been one who attempted "violin, guitar, ukele, piano and singing", and enjoyed it but never excelled in any of them, I would love to hear more of what inspires performing aritists, what drives you to excel? What do you go through emotionally when you are in front of people performing your art, whether it is music, acting, etc. Some, like myself, are content to paint or draw and not be in front of people but generally while we are creating our art, we are listening and being moved by music being played in the background. From the beginning of time, beat of music, rhythm and movement has been at the very core of our being. Even though I do not perform, how I admire and respect those who do. Please share your background with us and whatever you feel free to share with us regarding your music.

I sign for the deaf and what so many people miss is that the deaf can feel the beat of the music, even though they do not "hear with the ears" the music, they hear the music in their hearts. They feel the vibrations, the variations of vibrations, the intensity of vibrations sometimes by placing their hand on the piano or guitar, or just feel it through the floor. Music is a ministering balm. My son played the guitar and sang to his children while his wife was pregnant with them. When they would get fussy when they were babies, he would get the guitar out and play like he did then when they were still in the womb and they would immediately calm down. One day, my precious daughter-in-law (and one of my best friends in life) was at home with the baby and he got fussy and she was getting nervous being a new mother and my son was a work. She knows nothing about music in terms of playing music but got my son's guitar out and simply strummed, did not play chords, simply strummed and the baby became calm. Isn't that just amazing? It is to me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Artist [ 2 Answers ]

Need song artist for Dance with me.

Need help with name and artist [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I need help with this song. It's sung by a man and one part of the song goes like this "I left my home i left my home where i should go where i should go nothing's gonna nothings gonna

See if you can tell me this artist... [ 2 Answers ]

I know it's a female artist. She sounds like bmaybe Lisa Lobe or someone like that. The lyrics that I know are: Take me by the hand, take me far from here I don't know who you are But I, I'm with you...

View more questions Search