Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tch0704 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Sink w/overflow v. without
    I recently purchased a self-rimming sink without an overflow. I have two small children at home. Was this a mistake? Should I return the sink in case they decide to turn the water on and leave it running or does it really matter?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Assuming you are referring to a bath lavatory sink. If you have not installed I would return it. Most lavatories have an overflow. I have one that does not. Didn't notice until after I had installed it, but I have not small childern.
    tch0704 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 08:32 PM
    I am referring to a bath lavatory, and no I have not yet installed it. The only problem is that the toilet and tub are Kohler and I do not see that they make a self-rimming sink in the size I need with an overflow. I did not know if the overflow actually made that big of a difference.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Have you check to see if other sinks by Kohler of that design have an overflow. Maybe a worker just forgot to put in the tubing to make the overflow. I visited the Kohler factory once, its still largely a manual process. Didn't see a single job there that I wanted. They still build a sand mold in a box, punch out the holes, fill the mold with the proper stuff and fire it in a kiln. The overflow doesn't matter if you never forget to turn the water off. So far I haven't.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Just fit it with an electronic faucet, but then a cup of water to drink might prove difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher... overflow on the sink [ 17 Answers ]

We just moved to a home and ran the dishwasher the first time today. The dishwasher is running fine except that water came out of the "thing" on the sink (the overflow? ) but its steady (not forcefull) when draining during both cycles. How do I fix this?

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Rusty bathroom sink overflow [ 3 Answers ]

My bathroom sink is draining very poorly. I snaked out the pipe, but found no clog. A plumber came for the same problem about a year ago and blamed it partly on our sinks overflow being very rusty and interfering with proper venting of the sink. Does this sound right and can the overflow be...

Sink w/o overflow hole [ 9 Answers ]

I just had a home inspection on a house I am considering buying. The inspector mentioned that the 2nd floor bathroom sinks did not have overflow holes. Is this a Uniform Plumbing Code violation?

Lav sink with no overflow... problems [ 14 Answers ]

I just bought and installed a couple 'modern' styles sink that are extremely shallow and have no overflow receptacle. Consequently I chose a drain flange that does not have the ability to be pluged, it has merely a grill of 1/4" sized holes. The problem I'm having is that there is an air lock...

View more questions Search