Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badplumb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Disconnecting a shower drain
    I'm about to replace the shower pan but am at a loss on how to disconnect the drain from the existing pan. The picture attached show the drain with the cover removed. There are no screws that I can see. There appears to be a rubber gasket of some kind between the riser pipe and the flange. This gasket is really, really tough. I'ver tried grasping it with needle nose pliers and prying with a screwdriver. Neither was very effective in doing anything except removing a small piece of the gasket. How large would a gasket like this be? Is there another way to remove it? Since I'm replacing the pan, I'm not adverse to cutting it but just want to make sure I do not irreversibly ruin the riser or drain pipe. I guess I could cut the drain body also but again am concerned about damage to something important.

I've searched the internet and this site without conclusively answering this question. Your comments are appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Images

doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
    The gasket must come out. In replacing you will use a different drain adapter. Is this a concrete or wood floor?
    badplumb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 03:21 AM
    The floor is wood. It is on the second floor of the house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 16, 2008, 04:47 AM
    Sure would help if we knew the material the drain pipes are made of. Most shower base drains>(see image) are secured by a large nut under the base. If your pipes are plastic the drain will have to be cut out. You say,
    I'm about to replace the shower pan but am at a loss on how to disconnect the drain from the existing pan.
    I don't see a shower pan, I see a manufactured shower base and if you're going to replace it why not take a saws-All and cut around the drain and simply lift it up and off? You may then cut the shower drain loose from the trap raiser. You may have to cut the raiser back and couple on a longer piece to bring the trap raiser back to grade. Good nluck, tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 08:50 PM
    The rubber gasket seal needs to come out. The cast iron pipe must be cut. I suggest replacing the trap and using pvc and I am guessing you will go back with tile and a rubber pan. Secure the trap so it does not sag, cut the floor at a bevel so the first level of the tile shower drain is level or 1/4" below floor yet the floor is carrying the weight of the drain.
    ckellymoon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
    I think I'm going to sawsall the whole shebang and replace the flooring an the raiser.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Hi Ckellymoon

Is there a question we can help you with?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Shower Drain & Sink Drain issues [ 5 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement and have a few plumbing questions... some info on the home. My house was built in 1999, and I live in South Elgin, IL. It is a walkout basement and I do not have an ejector pump. The builder did the rough-in plumbing when the house was built. There are 2 2" PVC pipes...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Shower weep hole drain turned into tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my shower to a roman tub. The existing drain is a weep hole drain. Is there a plug for these type of drains? The idea is to use the same drain system and hot mop, tile, etc. around it.

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search