Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 15, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Bed wetting
    I have 7 sons ranging in age from 10 to 21. I have an issue that is driving me crazy. My 14 year old has a problem wetting the bed. It isn't once in a while... it is every night. He shares a room with my 12 year old. I hear it every morning how the bedroom stinks. My wife and I have had him to several doctors, he has been put on 2-3 different medications and none work. He has been told " you are 14, if you can not control this we understand, you need to bring the wet cloths to the laundry every morning to get washed". I have tried not to make him feel bad. He has been hiding his wet cloths and by the time we find them... OH MAN!! One doctor said he will just have to out grow it. We have been dealing with this for so long and there is NO improvement. Doctors and counseling have not worked, being nice has not worked, I have stopped any liquid consumption after 6pm and that has not worked. I would love to know if I am alone on this or has some one else found a solution.
    Mike
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Another idea, if you haven't already tried it, is to attempt to stretch the bladder so that he is able to hold more for a longer period. Have him drink a fair amount and hold his bladder a bit longer when he feels the need to go. Start with small increments and build to holding it longer over time. It can take awhile, but may help. Have you tried the alarm for bedwetting? It sounds when he starts to go and wakes him up.
    At 14, there obviously no reason that he can't do his own laundry... start having him take care of all of his clothes including what may have been wet the night before.
    He may or may not be open to the idea of the undergarments designed for adults who have difficulty with urine control... if nothing else it may cut down on some laundry.
    ashleyl Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

Mar 15, 2008, 08:58 PM
    If the bedwetting is something that recently started to happen, it may be pyschological. Sudden onset of bedwetting in a child or teen is usually a defense mechanism by the body. He could be dealing with something as easy as trouble at school or something more complicated like sexual abuse. I would suggest a psychologist as soon as possible, since the doctors cannot find a medical reason.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 16, 2008, 08:39 AM
    He has been having this problem his whole life. From a toddler till now... he has never stopped.The one doctor we seen was a psychologist... he was the one who told us he might just have to grow out of it. I should mention that when we go stay at my parents home for a few days ( they live two states away) he doesn't have this issue. I would say out of the last 20 nights spent there he only had one accident. This is so confusing... We haven't had any changes in our life style... he just seems to keep going and going...
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Was he premature at birth?
    My niece was and she wet the bed a lot longer than most kids. When taken to the doctor, something in her brain that wakes her up when she has to go had not fully developed yet.

Another idea, get depends for him. It might be embarrassing to have to wear adult diapers, but...

He obviously is embarrassed already, otherwise, he wouldn't be hiding his sheets.
    At 14 and still wetting the bed, something is going on - contiune to take him to doctors until you find one that can give you answers.
    The fact that he can hold it when he is away from home would tell me that he is painfully aware of what is going on and probably worries about having an accident more. He proably doesn't get a lot of rest when he's away from home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bed-wetting [ 33 Answers ]

:( Does anyone have any advice on what to do about bed-wetting? Here's a little history: -We have a seven year old boy who continues to wet the bed every night. (Almost, there are a couple of times a year he goes without doing it. He's even gone up to about 4 days without then all of a sudden...

Bed Slats for full size bed [ 3 Answers ]

I am purchasing a new mattress and box spring. I have been told that I need to supply three full size bed slats. I need the dimensions and type of wood that should be used so I can purchase them at my nearest Home Depot or Lowe's. I specifically need the length required. I need this answer...

Walking on the bed [ 1 Answers ]

My family has lived in this house for about 5 years now. Since we lhave llived in this house we have heard noises, such as someone walking, doors openning and closing etc. These noises so not occur often and do not occur at any particular time of day or night. On occasion we have seen like pages of...

AC -- wetting cooling fins improve heat exchange efficiency? [ 7 Answers ]

Would wetting outdoor cooling fins improve the efficiency of an AC unit? The unit in question is a central AC unit, but presumably the principle would remain the same for window units. AC cooling fins aid in heat exchange by exploiting their large surface area. Would wetting the fins to...

Doggy Bed Wetting Issue [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 2 yr old female Black lab (Dakota)that I adore. She has slept on our Cal King bed with my husband and I for the past 2 years. She is very spoiled (by me). We have another dog (Holli, 3-1/2 yrs old) that sleeps on the floor, next to the bed. Recently we found a huge wet spot on...

View more questions Search