Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Those were the days, weren't they?
    Surely you've heard by now the uproar over Obama's pastor. If you haven't, let's review. The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor, friend, the man who married he and Michelle, buddy and admirer of Louis Farrakhan, the man from whom Obama drew the inspiration for the name of his book, The Audacity of Hope - has made a few controversial comments that have gotten out recently. No, not that "the ministries of our church address some of that Jesus agenda" quote either. More like these:

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law, and then wants us to sing God bless America? No, no, no! Not God bless America! God D**N America! -- it's in the Bible -- for killing innocent people! God D**N America for treating her citizens as less than human!"
    "We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye...We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."
    Hillary never had to worry about being pulled over in her car as a black man driving in the wrong! I am sick of Negroes who just do not get it! Hillary was not a black boy raised in a single parent home! Barack was. Barack knows what it means to be a black man living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people! Hillary can never know that! Hillary ain't never been called a ni**er! Hillary has never had her people defined as nonpersons! Hillary ain't had to work twice as hard just to get accepted by the rich white folk who run everything, or to get a passing grade when you know you are smarter than their C-students sitting in the White House. Hillary ain't never had her own people say she wasn't white enough!
    "Hillary is married to Bill and Bill have been good to us? No, he ain't! Bill did us just like he did Monica Lewinsky!" (said complete with humping motions)
    Jesus was a poor black man who lived in a country and who lived in a culture, that was controlled by rich white people! The Romans were rich. The Romans were Italians, which means they were European, which means they were white -- and the Romans ran everything in Jesus' country. It just came to me within the past few weeks, y'all, why so many folk are hatin' on Barack Obama. He doesn't fit the model!
    “In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01. White America and the western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just 'disappeared' as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns."
    Obama brushes it off as Wright is "like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with" - "It sounds like he was trying to be provocative."

Flash back to the 2000 campaign...

Hoping to make Republicans squirm over their visits to Bob Jones University, House and Senate Democrats introduced a resolution today condemning the college for intolerance and criticizing its many visitors for staying silent on its anti-Catholic views.

With speeches decrying bigotry and racism, the Democrats made clear that it was Gov. George W. Bush's stop at the university, and his failure to denounce the college's policies, that compelled them to draw up the resolution. Mr. Bush later apologized for not seizing the chance to condemn the evangelical university's anti-Catholic teachings and its ban on interracial dating.

By heaping criticism on Mr. Bush, the Democrats hope not only to draw attention to a campaign misstep, but also to turn the university's policies into so much of a political mudbath that any candidate who has ever spoken there will end up vulnerable. Senator John Ashcroft, a Republican who is in a tough re-election bid in Missouri, has already been criticized for receiving an honorary degree from the college. Mr. Bush's presidential rival, Senator John McCain, has also condemned the Bush visit. But today it was Democrats who were using it in hopes of tarnishing Republicans.
    OK, who's going to be the first to introduce a resolution in congress condemning the Rev. Jeremiah Wright? Kennedy? Harry Reid?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 01:38 PM
    I had an uncle very similar to Wright. My uncle was also guilty of giving sloppy kisses.

Wright needs to brush up a bit on his ancient history and his Bible trivia, but he's who he is and it's a free country.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    I had an uncle very similar to Wright. My uncle was also guilty of giving sloppy kisses.
    Oh now that's gross, lol.

Wright needs to brush up a bit on his ancient history and his Bible trivia, but he's who he is and it's a free country.
    He is, and so is President Bush and so is Bob Jones University, but let's apply the standards the Democrats have set anyway. I think it about time they live under their own rules.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Oh now that's gross, lol.
    Yes, it was. Trust me on that.

He is, and so is President Bush and so is Bob Jones University, but let's apply the standards the Democrats have set anyway. I think it about time they live under their own rules.
    And the Republicans don't set standards? The Republicans live under their own rules?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 02:01 PM
    I could careless what Obama's Pastor has to say. He is not running for the nomination.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 02:10 PM
    In the OP I linked to the congressional record containing the resolution against Bob Jones U but their queries don't hold for long, so here is the text:

Mr. TORRICELLI (for himself, Mr. REID, and Mr. ROBB) submitted the following concurrent resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary:

S. Con. Res. 85

Whereas the Senate strongly rejects the practices of racism, segregation, and intolerance based on religious beliefs;

Whereas the administration of Bob Jones University enforces a segregationist policy by prohibiting interracial couples on the Bob Jones University campus;

Whereas officials of Bob Jones University routinely disparage those of other religious faiths with intolerant and derogatory remarks;

Whereas officials of Bob Jones University have likened the Pope of the Roman Catholic Church to a ``possessed demon'', and branded Catholicism as a ``satanic system and religion of the anti-Christ'';

Whereas the Website of Bob Jones University greets visitors with the University's belief that Catholicism and Mormonism are ``cults''; and

Whereas senior officials of Bob Jones University have made openly racist remarks on many occasions regarding African Americans and Asian Americans: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the Senate (the House of Representatives concurring), That Congress--

(1) condemns practices, such as those prevalent at Bob Jones University, that seek to discriminate against and divide Americans on the basis of race, ethnicity, and religion; and

(2) strongly denounces individuals who seek to subvert the American ideals of inclusion, equality, and social justice.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom
    I could careless what Obama's Pastor has to say. He is not running for the nomination.
    Shsss... quit being logical while he tries to destroy a candidate he doesn't like. Look at his posts - he hates all things liberal/democrat.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 02:15 PM
    And the Republicans don't set standards? The Republicans live under their own rules?
    Anything specific? I'll get specific, the Democrats denounce racism, hate speech, divisiveness, intolerance, discrimination... let them practice what they preach. I expect equal contempt for Jeremiah Wright as they had for Bob Jones U.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom
    And the people he associates with say nothing about the man? His refusal to condemn his remarks thus far says nothing of his character, nothing of the judgment of the man running as the candidate with superior judgment? Campaign workers on both he and Hillary's staff have been forced out because of stupid things they've said right and left, Ferraro being the latest. They weren't running for president, why should anyone care what they say?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Regarding Republican standards --
    Anything specific? I'll get specific, the Democrats denounce racism, hate speech, divisiveness, intolerance, discrimination...let them practice what they preach. I expect equal contempt for Jeremiah Wright as they had for Bob Jones U.
    Speaking of getting specific...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Inconsistency on my part? Hatred on my part? Divisiveness on my part? Intolerance? Discrimination? What? Where? Specifically?

As much as some would like for it to be so, posting the facts and expecting the left to practice what they preach is none of those things. And unlike some here, I don't resort to immature insults when inconvenient truths come out.
    I wasn't insulting you. Stop getting your dander up. You didn't answer my question. I asked if Republicans set standards and follow them.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 03:07 PM
    I wasn't insulting you. Stop getting your dander up. You didn't answer my question. I asked if Republicans set standards and follow them.
    Sorry, I did not mean to sound as if my dander was up over you so I will edit that. I'm asking what specific standard you may have in mind? Anything related to the OP or what? There are hypocrites on both sides, the difference is the right seems much better at holding their own accountable while the left gets really selective in their outrage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Shsss...quit being logical while he tries to destroy a candidate he doesn't like. Look at his posts - he hates all things liberal/democrat.
    Not everything, we like?? Well maybe it is everything, too bad they don't come up with some of the old "southern democrat" beleifs like the party used to believe.

My parents were democrats from the 40's, I wrote down one day the patform of many of the democrats, they thought it was some communist party list. They would not believe me it was the democrats
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Surely you've heard by now the uproar over Obama's pastor.
    As you can see, none of the leftist want to discuss it, they just want to blow it off as not amounting to anything important.

Mitt Romney explained his and it's about time that Obama explain black liberation theology (Wrights’ and the Churches humanistic philosophy); a faith he chose and was not born into.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 14, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Yes. Let's review...

Obama has publicly said that he has not sat down to talk specifically with Wright concerning his personal political views or to run his campaign. He hasn't had that privilege, nor does Obama endorse all of Wright's religious/political ideology.

Now what was the name of the preacher that McCain was so tickled to have endorse him. You know! The one that had the Catholic Church on a greased sled preparing for hell eternal? Oh! It's, "John Hagee." Yes! Those good ol' boys "John and John." Listen I'd love to play the six degrees of separation Kevin Bacon game, but Shabbos starts soon.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Yes. Let's review...

Obama has publicly said that he has not sat down to talk specifically with Wright concerning his personal political views or to run his campaign. He hasn't had that privilege, nor does Obama endorse all of Wright's religious/political ideology.

Now what was the name of the preacher that McCain was so tickled to have endorse him. You know! The one that had the Catholic Church on a greased sled preparing for hell eternal?! Oh! It's, "John Hagee." Yes! Those good ol' boys "John and John." Listen I'd love to play the six degrees of separation Kevin Bacon game, but Shabbos starts soon.
    Bobby, I got no love for Hagee, but would you compare Wright's nonsense to Hagee's? Oh yeah, and Wright is on Obama's African American Religious Leadership Committee. Doing anything or not as the campaign says, is that what you want on your campaign? Does that not deserve scrutiny?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    As you can see, none of the leftist want to discuss it, they just want to blow it off as not amounting to anything important.

Mitt Romney explained his and it's about time that Obama explain black liberation theology (Wrights' and the Churches humanistic philosophy); a faith he chose and was not born into.
    Actually, I'm a registered Republican, but since that party has turned into an authoritarian mess (far different from the Republican Party that I knew and loved), I've learned to love a few Democrats.

Why does Obama have to explain it? Anyone can Google it to get an explanation.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Mr. Obama's answer to this:
    The pastor of my church, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who recently preached his last sermon and is in the process of retiring, has touched off a firestorm over the last few days. He's drawn attention as the result of some inflammatory and appalling remarks he made about our country, our politics, and my political opponents.

Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.

Because these particular statements by Rev. Wright are so contrary to my own life and beliefs, a number of people have legitimately raised questions about the nature of my relationship with Rev. Wright and my membership in the church. Let me therefore provide some context.

As I have written about in my books, I first joined Trinity United Church of Christ nearly twenty years ago. I knew Rev. Wright as someone who served this nation with honor as a United States Marine, as a respected biblical scholar, and as someone who taught or lectured at seminaries across the country, from Union Theological Seminary to the University of Chicago. He also led a diverse congregation that was and still is a pillar of the South Side and the entire city of Chicago. It's a congregation that does not merely preach social justice but acts it out each day, through ministries ranging from housing the homeless to reaching out to those with HIV/AIDS.

Most importantly, Rev. Wright preached the gospel of Jesus, a gospel on which I base my life. In other words, he has never been my political advisor; he's been my pastor. And the sermons I heard him preach always related to our obligation to love God and one another, to work on behalf of the poor, and to seek justice at every turn.

The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church.

Let me repeat what I've said earlier. All of the statements that have been the subject of controversy are ones that I vehemently condemn. They in no way reflect my attitudes and directly contradict my profound love for this country.

With Rev. Wright's retirement and the ascension of my new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss, III, Michelle and I look forward to continuing a relationship with a church that has done so much good. And while Rev. Wright's statements have pained and angered me, I believe that Americans will judge me not on the basis of what someone else said, but on the basis of who I am and what I believe in; on my values, judgment and experience to be President of the United States.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Quote: "Hillary is married to Bill and Bill have been good to us? No, he ain't! Bill did us just like he did Monica Lewinsky!" (said complete with humping motions)

I have to agree with him on that one. I think Billy Bob squirted us all in the eye.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 01:53 AM
    Now what was the name of the preacher that McCain was so tickled to have endorse him. You know! The one that had the Catholic Church on a greased sled preparing for hell eternal? Oh! It's, "John Hagee." Yes! Those good ol' boys "John and John."
    I think there is a huge difference between getting an endorsement and attending a parish for over 20 years with a pastor as warped as Wright is . If Obama did not agree with the philosophy or the rhetoric he should've found another parish long ago.

I will remind everyone that they completely discounted and brushed off some questionble endorsments that Ron Paul got as 'no big deal'.

DC is right .If Obama wants to clear this up he has an opportunity for a Mitt Romney moment . Let him explain "black liberation theology " and why he by a long religious association supports the ideology.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I started my period 2 days after unprotected sex, It only lasted 2 1/2 days. [ 6 Answers ]

I know I've already asked if I could be pregnant because I started my period only 2 days after having sex. I've gotten feed back and that reassured me, but the weird thing is my period only lasted 2 days. I started on Tuesday morning and by late thursdy night I was already finished, which isn't...

B1 (75 days) + L1 (135 Days) + Family = Filing Staus? [ 7 Answers ]

I came to US on L1 visa (Company Transfer) with my wife (non-working) and son (Infant) on L2 Visa on Aug, 11 2007. Located in Dallas/Tx with no state tax and getting US salary with tax witholding based on M5 status. My total stay in L1 visa is <183, but stayed on B1 Visa in Feb-May 2007 for...

14 days late, then it only lasts for 3 days. [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I was 14 days late with my period I was supposed to have gotten it on the 31st of January, but I didn't get anything until the 14th of this month.. Im still feeling strange... and concerend... but I have heard that its still possible that you get your period with still being pregnant. I know...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

View more questions Search