Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nila2007 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2008, 06:15 AM
    What is Post Placenta
    Hi,

Greetings :) Yesterday I had the 20 weeks ultrasound and as the doctor was recording things, she was also explaining what we are actually looking at. During this time, she also showed us the placenta and said that I have a post placenta. I know I should have asked this then and there but it somehow skipped... What does this post placenta mean and is it normal? Thanks a ton for your kind reply :) Have a great day!!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 03:57 PM
    It is hard to think and listen to everything being said when you are excited seeing your baby inside you during ultrasound.

Post Placenta means the placenta is ahead of the baby instead of behind. During the birthing if the placenta is first then there is a chance of not enough oxygen being delivered to the baby coming down the birth canal. Normally a C section is done once this is determined. I would suggest you talk to your doctor regarding this diagnosis by the technician. Make sure everything is clear in your mind. It could be important to you and your baby during delivery.

I am not diagnosing your pregnancy, just offering suggestions for awareness.
    Nila2007 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    It is hard to think and listen to everything being said when you are excited seeing your baby inside you during ultrasound.

Post Placenta means the placenta is ahead of the baby instead of behind. During the birthing if the placenta is first then there is a chance of not enough oxygen being delivered to the baby coming down the birth canal. Normally a C section is done once this is determined. I would suggest you talk to your doctor regarding this diagnosis by the technician. Make sure everything is clear in your mind. It could be important to you and your baby during delivery.

I am not diagnosing your pregnancy, just offering suggestions for awareness.
    Hi tickle,

Thanks a lot! The info you provided was really helpful and that's definitely what I would call a timely and precise reply :) thank you... in another site I also read that the placeta is generally like this till mid pregnancy and then it slowly starts to raise up... so I thought may be that's why the doctor did not mention anything worrisome about it... hopefully everything would become normal and I should be able to deliver vaginally... hmmm let's see... Thanks once again for your kind reply :) have a great day!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 12:30 PM
    I have never heard of this term, but after doing some research, it is what we call placenta previa. This means that the placenta is lying lower in the uterus than is normal. There are 4 types of previa.

Complete previa means that the placenta is completely covering the cervix and c-section is the only method of delivery

Partial previa is when the placenta partially covers the cervix

Marginal previa is when the placenta touches the cervix, but does not cover it.

Low lying previa is when the placenta is in the lower aspect of the uterus but is not touching the cervix.

All 4 of these have potentially serious complications, but it is normal for some women and some women delivery fine vaginally with everything but the complete previa.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nila2007
    Hi,

Greetings :) Yesterday i had the 20 weeks ultrasound and as the doctor was recording things, she was also explaining what we are actually looking at. During this time, she also showed us the placenta and said that i have a post placenta. I know i should have asked this then and there but it somehow skipped...What does this post placenta mean and is it normal? Thanks a ton for your kind reply :) Have a gr8 day!!!
    Could she have been talking about a posterior placenta location? (which is the norm)
    I would have thought that if it were a previa, she would have mentioned something about how much of a previa it was, ask if there had been any bleeding or mention being aware of any bleeding from here on, talk about having another scan around 33 weeks to check location again, etc...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sheep Placenta ? [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about Sheep Placenta? I keep hearing great things about it. Im 23 and I want to use it to keep myself looking young, but I'm not sure! Does it really keep you young? Anyone had success with the pills or cream? And also anyone know anything about Pearl Powder.. I heard...

Retained placenta after delivery [ 2 Answers ]

Need Advice About A Persian Cat Who Delivered 4 Kitties And 3 Placentas 4 Days Ago -- She Received Pitocin 5u Sq X to the Day Of Delivery -- To No Avail -- She Looks And Feels Well -- Kittens Are Fine -- Vets Say No Worries -- Will Probably Break Up And Pass -- No Problem With Infection Unless She...

What causes a placenta to pass before the kitten is birthed? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Persian cat and have bred her twice. First litter had 2 kittens, the first was stillborn and the second survived but mother never produced milk. The second breeding only produced 1 kitten that presented with the placenta passing before the kitten resulting in another stillborn kitten....

Calcification of placenta [ 1 Answers ]

When I delivered my son my doctor noticed that my placenta was very calcified. I had him on my supposed due date given to me by a early sonogram. When I asked him about it he said with the next baby we will watch it closly. However I do not drink or take drugs I barley take tylenol, and I do not...

View more questions Search