Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sticks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Comfortmaker Furnace Hot Surface Ignitor Failure
    I have an 1989 vintage Comfortmaker furnace. Over the past couple of years, the burner goes out shortly after it starts up. When I replace the hot surface ignitor, it starts working again normally. I have had to replace the ignitor lately every one to three months. I have had a technician look at the furnace and cannot see any problem. I have used White-Rodgers Division replacement parts. Is a better part available on the market or should I look elsewhere for the failure?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Try one of these. They last a lot longer.

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...pgrad_dist.pdf

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...rideMod_SS.pdf

It's durable, reliable and universal... with No Power Module Needed! No more broken ignitors, no more broken promises.

This premium nitride ignitor is now available to you. Only from the leader in furnace ignition technology… White-Rodgers. The 21D64-2 upgrades silicon carbide integrated or non-integrated systems to long-lasting and durable nitride. The nitride ignitor is connected in the existing HSI system with no power module needed, ensuring consistent performance and long ignitor life.

Also look at conversion kits for your unit if necessary.
    Adobe page 15 or W/R page 73

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...ns/furnace.pdf

These items will really last. You might need to upgrade with a kit for the new style ignitor. They are so strong they have shot them into 2X4s and they still work, Finally a good ignitor.

Good luck with your project.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 06:54 PM
    I would check to make sure you do not have moister hitting it. It only takes one drop of water to knock out the igniter. Never touch the black part of the ignitor with your fingers(the oil from your finger tips will shorten the life of the ignitor). They last for a long time you have something taking yours out if it only last a month or two or even a year or two.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Comfortmaker Furnace Help [ 4 Answers ]

My Comfortmaker Furance (GUG070A012N) will not always kick-in at the set temp level. The Thermostat is verified operational and good. Most times the heat will kick in, but the fan blower will not run. If I remove the panel and spin the fan manually, sometimes this will engage the fan and the...

Blower working,hot surface ignitor not lighting up [ 24 Answers ]

My furnace is a Carrier,about 9 years old. My blower runs but there is no heat. Have done some research so I replaced the HSI because there was a white spot on it and it was not lighting up. It still is not lighting up. Could someone tell me what I should do next. Thanks.

Comfortmaker furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Our furnace has been working fine, but now all of a sudden only one of the three burners will ignite. This does not happen all the time, What could be the problem

Hot surface ignitor [ 1 Answers ]

What would cause a hot surface ignitor to explode?

Comfortmaker Furnace Fan blows in line fuse and will not allow furnace to work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Comfortmaker Furnace (approximately 1998/99) and the fan will not turn on allow the furnace to heat. When I try to turn the furnace on it blows a 3 amp fuse at the blower motor. I removed the fuse and jumped it and all it will do is make a faint buzzing noise and not turn on. I can...

View more questions Search