Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seabass2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Trane XL 80
    My gas furnace started blinking 4 flashes "High limit device open". So after playing around with that I switched out the high limit switch. My furnace still gives me the same message. However, it will fire up the gas burners without starting the blower. The burners will stay on without the blower until it overheats and I get the same message again, 4 flashes "High limit device open."

The blower will intermittently work though after the burners go out, so I know the blower does work. Is this a capacitor problem or a problem with the board? Or am I even close to the problem. I am not opposed to calling a tech out however I am an avid DIY'er and cannot stand it when I can't figure something out.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 07:02 PM
    To get heat temporary on you might switch your thermostat blower switch to on. Then recycle the 110 volt power to the unit and try again. It is possible that the blower control on the heat side is defective. I do not have a diagram for your furnace but that control could be on the main circuit board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane xl80 [ 5 Answers ]

The heater will run for awhile and then I will get the @ Flashes code! External Lockout (Retries or Recycles Exceeded) What will solve this problem? Dorsia

New Trane System [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Charlotte, NC and recently received a bid for replacing the system for my house. I have two systems - one that is a combined heater and condenser and the other that is split with the heat pump in the attic and the condenser outside. The combined unit bid is for a XL14c and the split...

Trane XR13/14 [ 1 Answers ]

My hvac unit is about 9 years old. The outside unit is leeking freon so I was told to replace it with Trane XR13 or 14. I was quoted $2500 (is that a good price?) Also, I don't believe that includes changing the inside unit coil. I was told that should be changed or the inside unit may break...

Quote on 2 1/2 ton Trane XR13 and var spd Trane Blower [ 2 Answers ]

I was just quoted on a 2nd floor A/C replacement, condenser and var speed blower, 2 1/2 ton Trane XR13 with upgrade options. Live in CT Are these prices sane ? Includes removal of old unit, upgrade of refrig line, added insulation on old ductwork - work to be done in walkup attic Quote...

View more questions Search