Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Mar 11, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Banking rules
    Hello everyone

My family just came from the bank where we took grandpa to get a cashiers check
    Since my sisters bank does not charge for cashiers checks we took him there OK I am trying to make a long story short grandpa had saved over 2000.00 in cash and was now ready to put a double marker on granny's grave so he had the check made out to the memorial place any way after it was done the teller asked him for a picture id and said if any one comes in with cash over a thousand dollars they are required to inform the gov. Is this true? Or did he not understand? {he is 84} If any one can explain this I would appreciate
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Hmmm I thought it was $10K. Any cash transaction of $10K or more requires ID and reporting to the IRS.
    topladyj Posts: 323, Reputation: 13

Mar 11, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Okay scottgem is right about the 10,000 they have to file out a ctr (curency transaction report) and send it to the government.
    I also do money transfers and in my state of Oklahoma they just passed a law to where if you send money over 1,000 then they have to get your drivers license number and social security number from you. We do not turn it in but moneygram keeps a record of it as well as we do. Basically to watch out for people money laundering.
    So with this said this is all I can think is that your state law has required them to get the number. Hope this has helped.
    IllinoisChip Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Yes indeed . The Patriot Act stiffened the requirements and banks to report "suspicoius" transactions, which can include cashier's checks over $1K. It's intended to fight money laundering and financing of terrorism.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banking [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My husband to be. Is having a problem with getting a bank account . And we have paid the collection agency that we needed to pay . But it takes 30 to 90 days to fix. But we need the money now . I was wondering if he could sign th check over to me and I deposit it in my account. While the bank...

Banking miscommunication [ 3 Answers ]

Dear lawyer, I am from a low income family and take care 2 young kids by myself, one is 12-year old and another is 6-year-old. Every month I worked hard, but only $30 to $120 dollars left, and I owed a lot of money from credit card Company, but I had to change my job to a part time job and take...

Banking terms [ 2 Answers ]

What do we mean by over draft in banking terms?

What does Custodian Banking mean? [ 1 Answers ]

I am applying for a job and, although full training will be given, they have indicated that I should know what custodian banking is. When I search the web I get loads of hits for banks that do custody banking but nothing explaining what it all means. Thanks Kathy

View more questions Search