Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlyjefferis Posts: 95, Reputation: 4

Mar 11, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Don't want to end up alone like my dad I'm scared
    I'm 22 and have had serious emotional problems with my father! I don't see him and yet he still plays a big role in my life with his emotional balckmail and emotional abuse (some of you may have read about it) but anyway its having a serious effect on my relationships with men, I seem to be doing excatly what he done to me with men.
    When they get to close I just end it a run away and I'm so scared I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life. I was engaged to a wonderful man who was loving and genourous but I pushed him away and I ended it. I don't know what being in love feels like I'm scared of people getting hurt by me. I also get very bored easy is that just because I haven't found the right man yet?
    I don't want to be alone and have no one like my dad I'm scared

Any advice

Xx
    pasiria Posts: 161, Reputation: 29

Mar 11, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Emotional blackmail is one of the most powerful ways of manipulation. Women in particular, are easy targets because they tend to place others' needs and feelings first. The reason this behavior is destructive is because it causes you to feel constantly on guard (edge). You are always waiting for the other shoe to drop, and you don't know what is expected of you anymore. This causes you to remain hyper vigilant, waiting for the abuser's next burst or mood swing. Living with someone who is like this is very harmful and anxiety provoking, causing the abused person to feel constantly frightened, uncomfortable, and off balanced. The book The Emotionally Abused Women by Beverly Engel, M.F.C.C. can help you identify the patterns that have kept you trapped and help you break the cycle and open yourself to the promise of healthy relationships. Not until you find help for yourself, your relationships might not work. This book helped me so much; I thank God for allowing me to find it by chance. It's only 13.50 and it also includes 32 references and recommended reading.
    duck22 Posts: 115, Reputation: 31

Mar 11, 2008, 11:18 AM
    This is interesting that you posted this because a good friend of mine told me yesterday that you can find out a lot about a woman by her relationship with her dad (and vice versa). That being said I think you should consider seeking help from a professional counselor for your situation. This issue that you are having with men and your father may be too complicated to solve solely on this forum. With the proper help I am sure you will find your answers and be put back on the right track.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 11, 2008, 11:38 AM
    I agree that counseling is a great idea, and I think it could really help you a lot. In the meantime, focus on you right now until you feel you have worked through this. When you feel that you have made progress and are back on track, then give dating another try. Once you get the help and support you need, you will be able to have healthier relationships.
    charlyjefferis Posts: 95, Reputation: 4

Mar 16, 2008, 09:24 AM
    I have had years of councilling and have had different councillors to. I have had it sinve a young age! Thank you so much for your advice I guess I will have to find a different type of councilling
    pasiria Posts: 161, Reputation: 29

Mar 16, 2008, 10:43 AM
    I once thought about counseling, but the 250.00 per visit only created more stress in my life. I took care of it with one book and a program I bought on TV "Attacking anxiety and depression" by Lucinda Basset. I still get my sad days and insecurities, but I talk positive to myself and comfort myself. It's not easy and the feeling will never go away, but you can control it, just like diabetes. It's just a matter of wanting to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dad got me a car that I don't love [ 4 Answers ]

Instead of my parents buying me a car. I had a sweet 16 and planned on using that money for a far. Well I had about 8000$ last night me and my dad talked.. and I told him what kind of car I wanted.. and he kept telling me how he liked fourrunners and I kept telling him I didn't like them and I...

I am to the end and I don't know what to do [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I have been dating this boy for almost 10 months and we are always fighting and he is very jelous about everything. I really love him a lot he was my first and I was his and I really just don't know what to do... We have tried to fix it and everything but it just goes back to him getting jelous...

I don't know who the dad is! [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old and I'm almost 4 months pregnant... the dr. said I conceived on the 8th of December... but I had my period on November 23-28... but on the 8th when I conceived I wasn't with a guy on that date but I slept with my ex b/f#1 on the second of December and I slept with my other ex#2...

Don't know who the dad is. [ 7 Answers ]

My doc. Said I'm about 6 weeks and a few days along.. I've never had a baby but io have 12 nieces and nephews.. my problem is my boyfriend and I had intercourse around the second week of dec and I went to my sisters out of state on the 21st it had been around 2 weeks since my boyfriend and I had...

View more questions Search