Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 04:08 PM
    When is child support not the responsibility of the absent parent?
    I'm confused. A poster recently told me that giving up parental rights may absolve a parent (father) of the responsibility of paying child support. (I actually received a red-confetti disagreement over it.) Would the mother's agreement that the father no longer had parental rights be needed?

How is this different from the guy who fathers a child, wants nothing to do with it, or the mother? A DNA test to prove he is the actual father can be done. Then he is required to support his child right?

If a dad says, "my kids hate me so I'm going to give up my parental rights" he no longer has to support them? I don't get the legal stuff here. Help please.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Babyriveria doesn't know what she is talking about. If she had replied to that post I would have given her a reddie for it.
    If the dead beat dads could get out of jail by signing away the support then they would be lined up at family court doing just that instead of overcrowding the jails.

Child support and custody are two different issues and if a dad did sign his rights away it would only be that he can no longer have a say to their lives or visitations but still would be required to pay child support. The state doesn't want to pay for all these dead beat dad's kids so they are going to get them for what they owe the best they can not make an easy out.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 04:22 PM
    I've not heard that before and will be curious to hear what others have to say. It sounds really odd, though!

My ex has not paid any child support since a couple of months of separating over two years ago as he went on a disability pension (a disability for which he received $65K payout in compensation last year from his old employer, and of which I was not entitled to any share). Yet he has travelled to the UK and US three times since we separated, returning only a few weeks ago from having spent three months in California.

Go figure.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 04:24 PM
    You're mixing apples and oranges in the same basket. Parental rights and child support are independent issues and have different effects.

WIKI -
    Giving up your parental rights does not absolve you of paying child support. Parental rights has to do with custody and the right to make decisions in raising the child. Child support is providing material support for a child you sired to make sure he has what he needs to live. The two are mutually exclusive. If you are so averse to having a child that you're willing to abandon the baby you brough into the world, perhaps you should give more thought to birth control and self restraint.

All states allow a parent to file for the termination of parental rights (TPR petition). The presiding judge makes the decision as to what extent those rights should be terminated including the cessation of financial obligations.

The ending of parental financial obligations are generally allowed only when mitigating circumstances are present, such as the parental rights being terminated so the child/children become eligible for adoption.
    -----------
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Simon isn't mixing apples and oranges Babyriveria is the one doing that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 04:34 PM
    There are a few US states that would allow a parent if he is allowed to give up his rights, to end child support, but that issue is IF, when the other parent does not agree. Seldom will the parent even be allowed to give up their rights.

So in a few states it is legally possible, yes, is it likely no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support owed by deceased parent [ 4 Answers ]

I am the custodial parent, my daughter is grown and her father just passed away in dec 2007. He owes back child support for several years, a little oevr 40,000.00, my daughter is grown and does not live with me any,ore and the father was having monies taken out of his check whenever the atty...

Absent parent legal rights [ 7 Answers ]

When an absent parent has only seen his child twice in ten years(baby) and has been paying childsupport over the last 6 years(because state takes it) what kind of rights does he have? And if I put abandonedment on him what does that all mean and do for my child? Plus he says he's willing to...

Absent Parent Adoption [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about absent parent adoptions? I can't find any advice on this topic. I am a forty five year old woman with a daughter that is nearly six. Her father lives in Europe somewhere and I live in Kentucky. He has never seen her. I haven't seen him since I was three months...

Child support/custodial parent moves in with boyfriend [ 5 Answers ]

I just got ordered by court to pay $200 a week in child support for my one daughter. Now I find out from my 9 year old daughter that her mommy's boyfriend has been living with them and now are moving into other house. He is paying for everything. My question is can my child support be...

How to get child support for children of a parent on ssi [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know what do I do if my two kids father draws ssi?the ? Is how do I get help for my kids? Do I need to apply for ssi for the both? He doesn't have to pay but should I have to do it on my own?

View more questions Search