Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alotconfused Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 01:17 AM
    God/Heaven/Hell complex and germaphobia
    Thought I'd knock this one out of the park with two things.
    For awhile I had this thing where I would constantly have to pray for people that I saw. Even though I had given up on religion and had no faith and stuff, and even if I didn't know the person, I'd find myself thinking stuff like "I hope he goes to Heaven." or "she" or anyone. Sometimes, if I attempted to resist doing this my mind would strike back and say something about them going to Hell, etc. and I'd have to give in.

It's sounds really selfish and pompous, etc. but I don't think I believe I can affect their faith, etc. I'm just not sure why I do it.

I've been getting much better about it recently.

As for germaphobia, I believe it came from my obsessive compulsive disorder (which I'm mostly over), and I've really tried hard to get over it. But for some reason, I won't let it go. Unlike my OCD, there hasn't been a time yet where I've felt ready, but I know I need to stop it. I guess I'm just frightened of everything, all the germs and diseases and stuff. And just feeling so unclean.

Oh right, and for a last question, what's a fear of numbers called? I have a phobia of the number 6 and all of it's divisions and multiplications.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 10, 2008, 03:07 AM
    I think you need a lot more help for your OCD. You definitely don't have that under control. You are trading one compulsion for another, to fill the void for the last one.

Everything you mentioned screams control. It seems you feel the need to control the people around you. Whether it be if they go to heaven or hell, or the germs/diseases they might pass on to you. On the other hand, since you know you can't control others, you go through your rituals in an effort to control and protect yourself from the environment around you. You become obsessed with things like saying prayers, cleaning things, numbers, and so on. You could be associating the number 6 with the devil. That makes you afraid, so you go through your rituals again, and it becomes one vicious circle.

In my opinion, you need to go back to your Dr./Therapist for more help with your OCD so you can help to stop all of your obsesive/ compulsive thoughts and feelings.

Good luck! :)
    toddles93 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alotconfused
    For awhile I had this thing where I would constantly have to pray for people that I saw. Even though I had given up on religion and had no faith and stuff, and even if I didn't know the person, I'd find myself thinking stuff like "I hope he goes to Heaven." or "she" or anyone. Sometimes, if I attempted to resist doing this my mind would strike back and say something about them going to Hell, etc., and I'd have to give in.

It's sounds really selfish and pompous, etc., but I don't think I believe I can affect their faith, etc., I'm just not sure why I do it.

As for germaphobia, I believe it came from my obsessive compulsive disorder (which I'm mostly over), and I've really tried hard to get over it. But for some reason, I won't let it go. Unlike my OCD, there hasn't been a time yet where I've felt ready, but I know I need to stop it. I guess I'm just frightened of everything, all the germs and diseases and stuff. And just feeling so unclean.

Oh right, and for a last question, what's a fear of numbers called? I have a phobia of the number 6 and all of it's divisions and multiplications.
    I think that's good I don't think that you should give up religion cuzz I have proof cuzz I usto talk to angels and I think the same thing when I see people you know so just stick with what your doing
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Your praying for people could be that you have compassion for them but when you catch yourself "praying" for people you need to change it to more along the lines of
    "Dear Lord, Bless them and......."
    Help them with any problems or heal them or something along those lines.

With the OCD they say the best way to over come fears is to face them by not backing away from them. If you are afraid of germs and compulsively clean something force yourself to leave it dirty until you can clean it because you want to and not because your compulsion is forcing you to.
    Sit down with a piece of paper and do every math problem you can think of with the number 6 until you see it is just another number.
    I think that is hexaphobia
    alotconfused Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alotconfused
    For awhile I had this thing where I would constantly have to pray for people that I saw. Even though I had given up on religion and had no faith and stuff, and even if I didn't know the person, I'd find myself thinking stuff like "I hope he goes to Heaven." or "she" or anyone. Sometimes, if I attempted to resist doing this my mind would strike back and say something about them going to Hell, etc., and I'd have to give in.

It's sounds really selfish and pompous, etc., but I don't think I believe I can affect their faith, etc., I'm just not sure why I do it.

Thank you all for your help.

I do need to see a therapist. I didn't see one when I tried to overcome my OCD, I did what N0help4u mentioned by just doing what drove me nuts until it didn't anymore.

But this feels like it has more weight to it. Like it matters.

And it could very well be a control thing. I will definitely see a therapist about this stuff.

Thank you again. =)
    LifePaparazzi Posts: 86, Reputation: 9

Mar 12, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Well, you should seek help. Find a good therapist / couselor (one on one) to start with. Make sure you are comfortable with the person you choose. Even if that means going through several people, before finding the right person.

A therapist / couselor can really help you work through some of the underlying issues, that cause you to have OCD etc. Don't give up on going either. Stick with it, it will help.

As for the whole fear of Hell issue... that's another thing. It is just so sad that you were taught this kind of fearfull stuff. I know that you will probably not believe me, a total stranger. But I will end with this note. There is no fire and brimstone hell. The concept is totally not logical. Note; If you do believe in God, as I know you do, you have to admitt that God is obviously intelligent, all knowing, wise and logical. Right? So, thing about this. What purpose is there in burning and tortureing, an imperfect human, for ever and ever and ever. Remember that we are God's children and that God is pure love. Would you punish your child by burning it for a long period? Of cause not. So, why would God do so. The ultimate punishment therefore is not the teachings of hell, which did not even come in to existence until a few centuries ago, it is total none existence. You will not get a reward from God, you will just be gone, never to be remembered again.

Now while I know that you have been shown scriptures that all the hell teachings are there. But if you fully understood how things were translated to fit these teachings, you would agree with me. So, I am in no way telling you that having a strong faith in God and his son Jesus is wrong. No, I'm trying to make you understand that you should not fear a loving and fogiving God. Only he can see deep in to each persons heart and know if they are worthy. You really don't need to pray for others. God is very wise. I'm sure he would not send to oblivion those that are indeed good souls.

Hope this helps.

PS- (For other reading this post. Please let us not turn this in to a debate over the hell issue, this is about a person that needs help. Please, kindly refrain from sending me emails to argue this issue with me. Thank You in advance.)
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 02:00 AM
    It all matters. Every impulse feels important when it's trying to get a grip on you. You know that. If an OCD habit tries to bug you, avoiding stress relief by avoiding the behavior can be extremely uncomfortable. But, if you can refrain from doing it, thinking about it and letting it obsess you, it goes away. And you know that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will you go to heaven or hell if you sin on purpose and you are saved? [ 132 Answers ]

Ok... I got saved about 5 or 6 months ago and my boyfriend who used to be a very good christian encouraged me to.. well now my boyfriend is slacking off and has been purposely doing sins, and asks God for forgiveness, knowing that he will do it again.. and he thinks that just because he is saved he...

Why did god make hell [ 25 Answers ]

If Jesus died for our sins why did god make hell and who goes there

Will a Soul be sent to Hell if religion is practiced that doesn't fully surround God [ 12 Answers ]

I am constantly wondering whether a soul will be sent to hell if a religion is practiced that doesn't fully surround the teachings of God. Like Buddhism for example. I'm constantly hearing that if you don't believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins then you will not be able to enter Heaven and...

Is this Heaven or Hell? [ 7 Answers ]

Believers please excuse my borrowing the concept -- I was going down the list of questions and came across "tombstone period". After reading the post I did a answers.com search and came up blank.Next choose for this type of searches for me are Wikapidia or Ask.com -- I picked wik Nothing on...

View more questions Search