Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbcannon Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Where to start with error code 14, Carrier 8000ts
    Hi, newbie here.

Got a 4.5 year old Carrier 8000TS.

Noticed the heater wasn't working, saw the error code was 14. After I turned power off and then on to the furnace, I turned the thermostat to heat again. The furnace made noise, but the blower didn't turn on. I noticed there was a faint gas smell near the flame sensor.:eek:

I noticed the flame sensor is black except for 3/4 of an inch at the end where is is greyish-white. Is that just oxide that needs to be cleaned off?

Because of the gas smell, I am guessing the flame sensor is not the problem. But, I am going to clean the flame sensor first just in case.

Any tips from someone with experience would be great!

Thanks in advance,
    Brady
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 11:09 AM
    You probably smell pilot gas.
    Are you on natural or propane gas?
    Is the unit sooted up besides the flame sensor?

Mar 9, 2008, 11:13 AM
    So, I think my guess about the flame sensor not being the problem is correct. I manually held down the cut-off switch with the door removed and watched as it tried to start heating. I could hear a couple loud clicking noises (the ignitor?), but no flame ever reached the sensor, at least that I could see. I guess this means there is a problem with the ignition system, since I can smell the fuel/gas.

Any ideas where I should go next?

Regards,
    Brady

Mar 9, 2008, 11:15 AM
    It is on natural gas.

There is some dust, but I don't think it looks too bad (guessing here).

Mar 9, 2008, 11:32 AM
    After reading some other questions, it looks like I need to clean around the ignitor. I'll work on that.

Anything other tips would be great.

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Clean the sensor and report bacK. Easy does it use sandpaper or steel wool.

Mar 9, 2008, 03:54 PM
    I cleaned the sensor. Now, I get an error code 34.

Still the same gas smell.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 9, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Is the hot surface ignitor glowing when you first turn it on? If not the ignitor could be bad.

Or unplug the ignitor and test it for continuity.

The below is just FYI on your furnace.

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr.../58uxt-6pd.pdf

Mar 9, 2008, 04:17 PM
    This doc is actually for a different model, mine is 58CTA. But, probably has similar types of components. Thanks though

I'm assuming the 'hot surface ignitor' is the black rod positioned in front of the gas burner?

It has remained black. I'll run the continuity check.

Mar 9, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Ah, the black rod is the gas manifold.

The hot surface ignitor (hsi) is a thin black metal thingy with a few fingers, or maybe those are a serpentine resistor that gets heated up. The diagram looks says white and black wires.

I ran a test sequence by disconnecting thermostat R from the control tower and shorting COM24 with TEST. The HSI never glowed, although this test was supposed to activate it for 15 seconds. But, I'll check continuity just to make sure that's the culprit.

Mar 9, 2008, 04:54 PM
    I bet the ignitor is defective.

Sorry about the drawing but it was the best that I had to show.

Mar 9, 2008, 05:02 PM
    I unplugged the black and white wires from the HSI and connected my ohm-meter to the two wires on the HSI. The ohm-meter reported an OPEN.

So, looks like I need a new HSI.

Agree?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 05:02 PM
    I would say bad hot surface ignitor If you smell gas and you do not see it glowing while it tries to light. Your furnace should try to light three times if it doesn't light after the third time it locks out. It's a cheap part to buy and easy to replace.

Mar 9, 2008, 05:04 PM
    ((So, looks like I need a new HSI.))

Agree and do not touch the black part with your fingers. The oils on your finger tips cause hot spots and the ignitor will fail sooner than it should.

Mar 9, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Sounds good. Thanks!

I appreciate your help, and very quick responses!

Mar 9, 2008, 05:14 PM
    I found a good document for my 58CTA which has instructions for running a systems test:

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...t/58ct-9si.pdf

Mar 10, 2008, 04:16 PM
    I installed a new HSI and heat is back on!

I have to say, I have a HUGE problem with local companies not willing to sell me parts. Of all the companies in the Boise area, only 2 were willing to sell this part to me! What an F'ing scam. I understand they need to make a living. But, this is ridiculous. There are plenty of people not willing to do this themselves.

With that said, I have to give a plug for Advanced Heating and Cooling, who were more than helpful. I paid $52 for the part. I think this is still a bit high, but didn't want to wait for a part off the net.

Mar 10, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Many companies are not in the business of selling parts due to law suits that have come up when a home owner buys a part for gas valves and ignition parts like yours. Many home owners have been hurt or killed by working on equipment they know nothing about. Naturally they want to sue the people that should have known better than to sell them the part to start with.

Hopefully you will see the other side of the story now.

Mar 11, 2008, 07:05 AM
    I did think of that, and I can see why that would make companies not want to sell the parts. So, mayby my beef is with lawyers and insurance companies. Instead of not selling the parts, why not require customers to read and sign a safety waiver. Then they are aware that they are taking a risk at their own choosing. As long as they aren't endangering anyone but themselves. Or, even require an "Appliance Safety Course".

I think people need to take more responsibility for their actions...

Mar 11, 2008, 07:15 AM
    ((require customers to read and sign a safety waiver))

We have to remember that some customers cannot read or sign there name. So if they did not sell them parts they would get a lawyer to sue them since they require customers to read and sign before they can get parts if you get what I mean.

Biggest thing is you got yours going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Error code 14 - Carrier Weathermaker 8000 [ 4 Answers ]

I've cleaned the flame sensor after days of ups and downs into my attic. I'm wondering if there is a reset switch that I need to trip. My steps were 1) unplug the power source, 2) remove covers, 3) turn off gas control switch 4) clean flame sensor with steel wool and 5) reverse through the...

Code 54 on carrier weathermaker furnace [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace stopped working today. It is a weathermaker (carrier) 8000 That is approx 14 years old. It has been serviced regularly To the best I can tell it is flashing a code 5 4 can anyone help me with this? It kicks on, blows cold air for a few minutes then shuts down. Thank you

93' civic error code 0, cranks but won't start [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, My 93 civic hatch died on me the other day while driving. It pretty much felt like I had run out of gas, even though I had a half tank left. So I got it towed to my house, and performed the little paper clip diagnostic test, and when I did, the check engine light came on and stayed on. When...

LED code PF for Carrier 8000TS [ 1 Answers ]

Heater Blower will not start. Code on led is PF. How do I correct and or repair? Thanks.

Carrier Diagostic Code [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the problem is with my Carrier heating unit if the red light remains steady followed by 2 fast flashes? Thanks!

View more questions Search