Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgreenfeld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Using pvc for support when building wood deck
    Has anyone ever used pvc for the supports under a wood deck walkway? I have been told you can use it and it saves having to use concrete and dig holes but cannot find any information on it.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Mar 9, 2008, 07:17 PM
    I suppose its possible to design a post made of PVC... but it would have to be specifically built as a supporting post. The manufacturers would list the weight it could support etc. However, I've never heard of this and can't imagine doing it. PVC is brittle in cold weather and too flexible in warm.

Everything lasting that you build needs a foundation. Not having proper foundations & not using something with appropriate structural rigidity is a recipe for trouble.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 07:45 PM
    I too have not heard of this and would suggest preformed concrete pads designed to accept a 4x4 to support the deck. Even with this you need to dig through the soft black dirt to reach stabile soil, like clay or rock. You could also dig a hole passed your frost line and set a 4x4 or 6x6 pressue treated lumber in the hole with pea gravel back fill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resurfacing a wood deck [ 4 Answers ]

I'm replacing the boards on my wood deck, as the old ones are rotten. The existing boards were attached with decking (spiral) nails. Each plank has 3 nails at 10 different spots. I'm assuming that if I just put the nails in where the old ones were, that it won't hold as well, since the holes will...

Building exterior deck [ 11 Answers ]

I live in the North west territories and I am build a deck/porch off my house this summer. What is better to us screws or nails? Please provide logic to your answer. Thank you

Building a Deck [ 6 Answers ]

I am building a deck of the second floor of my house. Me question is, how far of an over hang can a 2x8 joist handle? Meaning can I extend a 2x8 joist 3 feet over the support brace? 4 feet? Thank you

Wood Deck over Concrete Patio [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to build a deck over my concrete patio but the problem is I have only about 4 1/2 inches between between slab and top of concrete house slab. Therefore, I can only use 2x4s for supporting the low profile deck. All deck do it yourself books recommend a minimum 2x6 for deck joists. Is...

Deck attracting wood bees [ 2 Answers ]

How do I keep wood bees away from my deck? You know the kind I'm talking about... the huge ones that resemble bumble bees. I'm deathly afraid of bees as I am allergic to bee stings. I don't want to wait until dark before I can enjoy my deck!

View more questions Search