Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzieperfect Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Exterior Plumbing Vent, should there be a visible pipe?
    We recently had a half bath installed on the first floor of our home. For a variety of reasons, we asked that the vent be put through the exterior wall as opposed to going up through 3 floors and through a slate roof. My question: our contractor says that the vent is there, but all I see is a VERY small hole in the siding of our house that goes to the bathroom wall and presumably connects somehow to the plumbing. Should there be some sort of exterior pipe connecting through this small hole to the plumbing? Is this pipe supposed to run above our roof line?
    We had many contractors come in for estimates and most of them cautioned us that an exterior plumbing vent would look ugly (I thought because it was going to run up the side of our house). We opted for it because it was far less expensive than the alternative of running it through 3 floors/slate roof, etc.
    The contractor is demanding his final payment and I am very uncomfortable with this vent. THanks for any information!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2008, 02:01 PM
    My question: our contractor says that the vent is there, but all I see is a VERY small hole in the siding of our house that goes to the bathroom wall and presumably connects somehow to the plumbing.
    Call the contractor back and have him finish the vent, Terminating a vent with a hole in the wall is a code violation. My Code, ( Standard Plumbing Code Chapter14, section 1404.4 and .5) will NOT allow him to terminate a outside building vent beneath any window, ventilating system or within 10 feet of any such opening. Once outside the house the vent shall be turned upwards and screened to prevent critters from entering. This vent should be approved by the plumbing inspector before installation. ( a little late for that isn't it?) Good luck and keep me informed. Tom
    Eric D Posts: 98, Reputation: 4

Mar 7, 2008, 05:29 PM
    While on the question of plumbing vents, are the units in this LINK legal?

Eric D
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Hi Eric... checked the site... what UNITS are you talking about?
    Eric D Posts: 98, Reputation: 4

Mar 7, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Hi Eric...checked the site....what UNITS are you talking about?
    If you scroll down a little in the link you will see a photo of the vent. This type of vent is said to be allowed in an attic or inside a wall or even under a sink. There is also a pdf in the site with more details as well. I have seen these in the big box home stores as well. I was wondering if they would meet local codes in place of a through the roof or wall vent system.

This is from the Link in my first posting:

AAVs are accepted by major model building and plumbing codes, including IRC 2003, for single or multi family residential construction, and by American Society of Sanitation Engineers (ASSE). However, some local code authorities may be unfamiliar with Air Admittance Valves or reluctant to accept them despite code listing. Prior to using an AAV, an installer should contact the local building code official for specific approval status. In the United States, one open-air plumbing vent per structure is required.

Eric D
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 8, 2008, 07:34 AM
    In my area we have used AAV's in remodels, (never in new construction) they may only be installed if the plumbing inspector OK's it. The reason that this is on a case by case basie is that a AAV is a spring loaded mechanical device that is subject to fail over time. With a regular vent through the roof you do not have these concerns. It is also strongly recommended that if you install a AAV that it not be installed inside a wall and if it is a access service panel MUST be installed so it can be serviced or replaced. Regards, Tom
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 25, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Evidently the contractor didn't obtain the permits for the work ? If permits are required for this work where you live, why was this allowed to proceed illegally ? Unfortunately, saving a few bucks on property taxes cost many thousands in resales. Most states have laws against a contractor doing un permitted work when one is required. I don't think you should pay him anything until this matter is resolved first. Just say that you will give him a cashier's check when he provides you with proof that the job has been done legally and passed inspection.

He may not be able to do this.

Before I retired, I made a lot of money tearing out patios, illegal room additions and modifications to return the properties to a legal status. Most lenders will not (or then anyway) loan on "as is" sales without thorough inspections. At that time everything needed to be brought to code.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Every plumbing fixture has to be vented. Vent should terminate 12" above the roof line and 10' from operable skylights. It can be install on the inside of the wall or on the exterior of the house. Alternative would be to install so called "ProVent" - as it is called in my region - which is legal in some states. "ProVent" is used in applications where it is impossible to run vent through the roof. If your contractor terminated your vent inside the wall area than your sewer will vent into the wall.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 03:49 AM
    Milo:

Vents terminate at between 18 and 24 inches above roof in my area... You must be in a warmer climate..?

Further, so future posters are clear, in my code book (Massachusetts, Uniform State Plumbing Code, 93), "No vent terminal shall be located directly BENEATH any door, window, or other ventilating opening of the building or of an adjacent building NOR shall any such vent terminal be within TEN FEET horizontally of such an opening unless it is at least TWO FEET above the top of such opening"...

All the different code books across this country drive me crazy sometimes. Here, when it comes to numbers, I've learned to temper almost everything I suggest with... IN MY CODEBOOK... or IN MY AREA... or I will in fact state that the asker needs to check the code requirement or call the plumbing inspector in their area.

Not required by any means... Just FYI... Have a good day!

And ERIC...a provent is the same thing as the AAV You and Tom already discussed in great detail...just so you know...;)

Mark
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 27, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Here in the Tampa Bay Area we terminate our vents 6 to 8 inchers above the roof line. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior plumbing stack vents [ 8 Answers ]

How far from above operable doors and windows should exterior plumbing stack vents be?

Vent pipe turned into drain pipe and drain pipe into vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently began to remodel my laundry room. I wanted to move the washing machine 3 ft from its current spot. When I removed the sheet rock I found that the vent pipe is between the current washing machine drain and where I am moving my washing machine. I wanted to avoid breaking into the slab....

Plumbing Vent [ 3 Answers ]

1)Combination waste and vent has a vent pipe which runs horizontal for 15ft and than rise up through roof. UPC does not have any paragraphs to object this. Does anybody know what the risks are. THis is a system serving to one floor sink only with 2" tail pipe and 3" waste line.

How do I cut through exterior wall to add second bathroom sink plumbing? [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my master bathroom and want to add sink. Currently, there is one set of pipes for a sink and would like to splice them into a second sink. The problem is that the current plumbing is located in an exterior wall and I need to know how to cut open the wall, so that I can expose the...

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

View more questions Search