Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    budgett1972 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Changing copper pipe
    Out of my basement wall I have metal pipe coming of to a turn off switch. I am trying to re route everything from there to cpvc pipe . How do I do that without tearing up the metal from to main source?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 10:38 PM
    Budgett1972- Yes there are about 4 different ways to change over to cpvc from,copper, #1 - I always liked to use what is called a ( TRANSCISSION ) :: If the copper is 1/2' you get a brass coupling {5/8] and a cpvc piece called transcission , take the nut off one end of the brass coupling ,remove the copper ferrol, put the trans. Piece threw the brass nutwith the pipe end threw the nut hole , tighten down pretty firm, now when you put it on the copper line loosen the nut and slide the nut ferrol and brass coupling on to the copper pipe and tighten down pretty good,:
    Now if you have 3/4 you get the parts for 3/4' :: You can get these at Lowe's < HOME DEPOT > A PLUMBING STORE <SOME HARDWARE STORES AND LUMBER YARDS . Good luck and GOD BLESS< IF I have helped you rate my answer below .::: F.B.E.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 05:12 AM
    YUP... if me and the flying blue eagle read this right... need to cut copper pipe and transition over to cpvc using a:

cpvc x compression fitting (see attached picture)
    cpvc x male thread (copper x female adapter screws into that)
    cpvc x female thread (copper x male adapter screws onto this).

Would be great if you could post a picture (at go advanced feature when posting) or at least identify the exact metal pipe you have by the wall.

Are you relocating your meter?

The metal turn of valve....is this threaded on both sides? If so, probably best to transition out of the valve with a male adapter x cpvc fitting.

Get back to us with metal kind, meter move, etc. We will see how to best advise then... ok?
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from copper to plastic water lines [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am trying to move the water supply lines for the bathroom so that I can begin framing a bathroom in the basement. The water lines are going right across the bottom of the floor joists where I need to put up the headers for the walls so I need to move them. My brother in law was...

Copper water pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to install a new hot water heater,but I would like to use compression fittings instead of sweating pipe is this possible. Would like to use compression fittings from the copper water lines to the flex hose going into the water heater Thanks

Copper to pvc pipe [ 7 Answers ]

We are trying to install a water system in our home and need to know how we go from copper pipe to pvc pipe.

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

View more questions Search