Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Berda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 09:54 AM
    Oder coming from sump pump
    I have a foul oder coming from my sump pump. I have had 2 plumbers in and they both say there is nothing wrong with my sump pump. The smell is awful and I don't know where to go or who to call at this point. They both agreed that the oder was coming from my pump but not sure why. Any suggestions? The smell is filling my house and when I go to the basement it definitely is traced to my sump pump.
    HELP!!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 11:24 AM
    I am no expert on water, but the smell can only becoming from either the water or the pump. Have a sample of the water tested, call your city or state to find out where water is tested by a qualified lab.

If the pump is the source of the odor, change the pump.
    Berda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Thank you. I went home and poured a gallon of bleach in the sump pump. Thanks for the idea of calling the city and having my water tested. I will try that.
    Berda
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2006, 04:40 PM
    Dump a gallon of bleach in the sump, swish and wash the sump pit sides and then cycle the sump pump. The bleach will kill off any bacteria that's in there and should make everything smell better. Let me know if it helps. Tom
    bone69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2011, 09:15 PM
    I had the same problem.. Install a one way flow valve and odor is gone
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 21, 2011, 09:57 PM

Five year old post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pump [ 10 Answers ]

I recently bought a new house and was wondering if the sump pump draining into the main drain instead of on its own drain to outside the house is a problem? I have never had a sump pump before and was curious because we get a sewage smell inside our bathroom every once in awhile on the first floor...

Installing a 2 sump pump system [ 1 Answers ]

I got a client asking me how I can install a 2 sump pump system in case one fails or the power goes out Anyone can send me some pictures how to do so please the job needs to be done tomorrow It would be nice to get good detail how to install the 2 pumps Submersible only ...

Sump Pump popping [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a new house and the sump pump and or lines make strong popping bang every time we use the washer and it's draining or we are using several drains, the contractor says its normal I don't think so. Any ideas? It has been doing it seen we moved in ( a month)

Washer drain to sump pump [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My washing machine drain pipe drains into my sump pump and sets the pump off constantly, can I connect this drain into a different line and if so what do I need to do? Any suggestions would be great, thanks

Overactive sump pump [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a new house last Oct. I found I had an over active sump pump. The pump works every few hours in dry season and maybe every min. or so in heavy rain season. The water in the pit is crystal clear, no odor. Can someone tell me the reason? How can I fix this ? Should I just raise the pump? ...

View more questions Search