Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 06:02 AM
    What is your favorite childhood memory?
    Mine is cemented in my mind and heart... forever...

It was my 5th birthday. My parents were divorced at the time (probably separated, maybe not divorced). Anyway, and I was the youngest of 5. My Dad asked my Mom if he could take me out the day of my birthday, and she probably was more then glad to have one less in the house :).

Sooooo Dad took me to his favorite hangout first, ( I guess to show me off to all his friends, as Mom put the cutest dress on me, and had all my red curls done just so)...

There am I having Dad all to myself, and didn't care if I was sitting on the moon. Just so happy to be with my Dad. Then all of a sudden... :eek: Dad stands up, and says "okay guys I will see you all later" and acts like he's leaving little Allheart on the stool :( , I quick grabbed my Dad's hand and held on it for dear life, and with a big roar he laughed and raised up our arms, showing everyone me holding on to his hand, and the pride in his eyes and face, to me was priceless and the memory of the feeling of my little hand in his will always be with me. Dad, always had some giggle up his sleeve.

My Dad always made me feel like a little princess, more special then the stars. And that day I saw he really believed it in his twinkling blue eyes.

That's my favorite child memory and will last of lifetime in my heart.

p.s. Dad got more then an earful from Mom when she found out where Dad took me. But I couldn't understand that at that time, I thought I was in paradise.

So, what's your favorite childhood memory?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Something similar to yours involving my parents:

Summers at the beach on Lake Ontario and camping when dad was on vacation. Happy times. So much so that my son has instructions for my ashes to be scattered at this particular beach.
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

Mar 6, 2008, 06:19 AM
    That's a lovely memory. I have many that flit through my mind but it always steers back to me - tiny and terribly shy in first grade. I was 4th child in a line of six. My two older brothers - one year and two years older than myself - were the world to me.

My family was broken up and my father had moved out. My mother was busy all the time and I always felt very lonely and scared.

I was standing next to the playground fence at lunch hour, watching a baseball game when my brothers appeared on either side of me. They each started asking if I was OK... and if anyone was bothering me. I kept shaking my head 'no' but they wouldn't let up.

Then a little boy in my class looked up and waved at me and that was it. My brothers said to each other. "See? He's bothering her", and they rushed off to have a talk with him.

I hated that they went after him and stood yelling "no no no. He isn't bothering me!" At the same time I felt protected and loved as I had never felt before.

I've always adored my brothers for giving me that feeling.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Dancing with my Dad... he was on his knees, I was probably 5. My mom captured that moment on a camera and I have it on my desk, reminding me of that precious dance.

My Dad also always treated me like his princess... I was his world. He passed away four years ago from cancer and I can honestly say I have not one single bad memory of him. He is my inspiration, my hero, and truly the wind beneath my wings.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick
    Dancing with my Dad... he was on his knees, I was probably 5. My mom captured that moment on a camera and I have it on my desk, reminding me of that precious dance.

My Dad also always treated me like his princess... I was his world. He passed away four years ago from cancer and I can honestly say I have not one single bad memory of him. He is my inspiration, my hero, and truly the wind beneath my wings.

Oh HC - ( )

There are no words. Just feel my heart. Love u.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    Oh HC - ( )

There are no words. Just feel my heart. Love u.
    Thanks for the hug, AH.

My childhood is full of beautiful memories, but those involving my Dad are always the most poignant and shimmery.

Lol... just thought of another one.

My Dad traveled internationally ALL the time, but he took my Mom and I with him a lot (I was an only child until 10) One such trip was to California, Hawaii, Fiji, and Australia. It was the trip of a life time. I was 9.

When we arrived in California, the first thing on the agenda was Disneyland... When we got there, Dad grabbed my hand and we skipped to the gate. It was before the pre-teen "Oh Dad..." set in... I loved it. We skipped under that huge jukebox by the gate of the park... all our cares were far away.

That was an amazing trip... And makes me emphasize the importance of time... Looking back on my life, I remember the time spent with my Mom and Dad... not necessarily the things we did, but the time.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 09:44 AM
    HC that is so nice. I love your Dad too :)

It's been 4 years ( I think - I don't keep track ) but I still reach over to turn down the radio instantly... anytime Luther starts singing "Dance with my Father".

I can visualize in my mind you and Dad skipping - Priceless.
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Mar 6, 2008, 10:02 AM
    I have so many I could not honestly say. Although I always remember as a child when I was ill I used to sit on my dads knee and fall to sleep better than any comfy bed always felt safe.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Wow Nicki... comfort and a great feeling a safety.
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Mar 6, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Yeah I was a lucky kid I suppose luckier than most I had a great set of parents and brothers and sisters my parents also fostered children (still do) so big family and happy times.
    We used to put on little shows when we were younger and our aunt used to come and watch us and all she used to say was ah don't they look cute

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Favorite holidays [ 11 Answers ]

What's your favorite holiday/days?

Referenced Memory Error - Memory cannot be read. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Windows 2003 Server with 2GB Ram. I get an error saying Application error- Explorer.exe giving referenced memory error at 0x00e113f0 - the memory caanot be read. I have removed the memory and swapped with other server's memory but still get the same problem. Could it be a virus?...

I want to find my favorite childhood movie. [ 1 Answers ]

When I was little I used to watch a children's movie that could have been produced in the late 1980's or 1990's with a basset hound dog I think named Barney and the little kids drew a map of their own world and were then brought into that world with puppets that sang songs. I can't remember the...

Favorite vacation [ 16 Answers ]

What was your favorite vacation? Why? Would you go there again? For myself, I'm not sure what was my fav, but I used to live in Hawaii, so it was like being on vacation every weekend. I still enjoy visiting there. The reasons are: the people, the weather, the food, the outdoor lifestyle, the...

Anyone know what would cause loss of childhood memory? [ 3 Answers ]

I can't remember much of my life before 3rd grade. I have one memory when I was three years old and that is only of the house I lived in. I remember what it looked like on the inside and that is all, I remember nothing else of that age. Then my school days I don't remember Kindergarten at all......

View more questions Search