Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hic1957 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Mar 5, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Gains on sale of house
    When mom died in march 2005, because she lived in New York - the house passed 50% to dad and 25% each to me and my sister - we then put the house in a trust -
    If we sell the house after dad dies - do we need to pay capital gains tax on the sale? If so, is the cost bases on our share when mom died or the entire thing when dad dies?

Thanks

H
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2008, 01:38 PM
    You assumed ownership when mom died. Therefore your tax basis is the value when mom died. When dad dies, asuming his portion is divided among you and your sister, your tax basis for that half will be the value when he dies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capitol gains on a second house [ 1 Answers ]

I will make this short. In 1995, my husband bought a house in his own name. Moved in 2001 due to job relocation. Did not sell the 1995 house and bought another house in 2001in both our names. Rented the 1995 house for one year and had not rented it out again after tenants moved out. Sold 1995...

Home sale - capital gains tax? [ 2 Answers ]

I am selling my home in NYS and will have a gain within the exclusion amount of $250,000. I was the owner listed on the title even though the property was owned by myself and my mother. (I did this because I applied for the loan by myself.) She provided the down payment and we both paid the...

House sale profit [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are expecting to make a decent profit from the sale of our 1st house. We are separating so we will not be buying another house anytime soon. What kind of taxes/penalties should we expect to pay in order to pay off bills, split the profits, etc?

Sale of an investment with gains [ 1 Answers ]

How do I record a sale of an investment with gains?

View more questions Search