Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MeMe1965 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Child support & Adoption
    I have my great niece who I will be adopting here soon. When the mother and father both sign their rights away so their baby can be adopted by a family member do they still have to pay child support. Mother and father never married but are willing to sign her over. I have had her since she was 9 days old and she is now 2 years old.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2008, 05:16 PM
    If the rights are signed away and the child is ADOPTED by a family member, the adoptive parent pays for the child, they do not pay child support anymore, I'm fairly sure.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 08:05 PM
    If the child is adopted no they do not pay any support, If you do not have a legal form of custody at this point, you also can not collect support for the time you now have the child.
    MeMe1965 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 07:01 AM
    They had a court order to pay child support and never have paid. Mother went to court 2 weeks ago and they gave her 30 days to pay up or she will go to jail. That's why she wants to let us adopt her now so she will not have to pay child support. Father has always said he will sign his rights away so he never has to pay. But want she still have to pay the past due child support?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Yes, the past child support is still due, especially if public assistance has been used to support the child. The state wants to be reimbursed for what it laid out.

But, as of the effective date of the adoption, no future support woul;d be due.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Termination of rights & back child support ? [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, my husband terminated his parental rights to a child, and the mother filed a motion prior stateing that she would drop all child support if he did this... he asked the judge if he would owe her any back child support, & he said he would not owe her a thing... a month later she tells the child...

Child support after adoption [ 9 Answers ]

I found out yesterday my 16 year old son was legally adopted by his guardian. My question is, is the birth mother supposed to continue to pay child support even after her child has been legally adopted?

Signing over rights & ending child support [ 15 Answers ]

I am a single mom, living in Indiana. I have an 8 year old daughter. Her biological father has not seen her since she was 1. After her birth, he requested a paternity test & was then ordered to pay child support. He has not paid for almost 6 years, but he also has not seen her, so I don't...

Birth Certificate & child support [ 15 Answers ]

Hey. I am currently almost 7 months pregnant. I am due in June. The father and I had been dating for a few months before I got pregnant. When I told him he asked me to get an abortion, and when I told him I couldn't do that he said I was just trying to keep him around! SO I went online and...

Child Support & Tax Deductions [ 7 Answers ]

A friend is divorcing and paying child support; working two jobs to get this done. Wife is custodial parent in joint custody with husband and works occasionally while living with another man. She is claiming the two kids on her IRS statement and my friend, who has the burden of cost plus the income...

View more questions Search